The Mating Ball

The day started normal enough; waking up, eating breakfast with my brothers and sisters, a normal day at school. That night, however, would be anything but. The most powerful packs across the world were all coming to one place. There would be a large ball where, hopefully, everyone would find their mate. It was going to be absolute chaos.

Why did anyone think this would be a good idea? The council, I suppose. Over the past few years, alphas have been finding it harder and harder to find their mates. With the population of werewolves growing every year, it was becoming hard for anyone to find anyone. And Alphas needed their Luna. The power the mate bond brings a Luna is highly coveted and nothing to turn your nose up to.

Most wolves found their mates within minutes of turning 18, at their first shift. The moon goddess having put them in close proximity. But lately, more wolves have been having to work very hard to find their goddess given mate.

Thus, the Mating Ball was born. All unmated females were to report to their designated hotels. One in every capital pack (England, America, Russia, and China), thousands of girls aged 18, packed in like sardines every year. The alphas basically on a whistle stop tour of unmated female pheromones.

My pack was in the host capital this year, my father being the Beta of one of the most powerful packs in America. Luckily I didn't have to travel or stay in the over crowded hotels.

I was broken out of my thoughts by my best friend bursting through my bedroom door, beauty products in hand.

"It's time, Soph." She said, an evil grin stretched across her lovely face.

I sighed, "I know. Let's get this over with."

Larissa rolled her eyes, "Come on Sophia. You're finding your mate tonight! Can you at least pretend to be excited?"

"You're right. It's just a little nerve wracking."

"I know. I remember what it's like. But you'll never be happier. I didn't even know what I was missing before I met Paul!" Larissa was 20, so her mating ball was two years ago. Paul was a Gamma of a neighboring pack in Mexico.

I smiled at the thought. Don't get me wrong, I was exciting. I've always dreamed of meeting my mate. The thought of the Mating Ball just made things feel... rushed I guess.

Larissa began to happily style my hair while we talked. My hair was blonde, so light in some lights it almost appeared white, and gently curled naturally. She put it in a loose French braid and began on my makeup. She's done it so often now that she knows how I like it. Light foundation, so that my freckles aren't covered. She picks a light brown eyeshadow color, and does a beautiful winged eyeliner, to bring attention to my forest green eyes. My dress is a vintage style gown,  light brown and down to my knees. Small branches are embroidered into the fabric, making me feel like a woodland fairy.

After I was done getting ready, she snapped a picture of me for good measure before sending me on my way. Here goes nothing...

The ball was almost beginning as I arrived. I was rushed to my place in line, as I was a Betas daughter, behind the daughters of powerful alphas. The entrance ceremony was quite dramatic if you asked me. All of us were upstairs and lined up behind the staircase. As our names and ranks were called out, we descended the stairs. At the bottom were the males, hungry and impatient, as they would have smelled their mates scent the second we were inside.

The line began to get smaller, as my turn came closer and closer. My heartbeat was pounding in my ear. As I reached the top of the landing, an amazing smell hit my nose. It smelled of chocolate and butterscotch. My two favorite smells in the world. But something was wrong. My nose could tell this was two different smells, and yet both had my wolf clawing to the surface.

"Sophia Lisette Harper, daughter of Sarah and Victor Harper, Beta female and male of The Forest Moon Pack"

At the sound of my name, my feet began to descend the stairs, eager to find the source of the scent. My eyes scanned the thinning crowd for any hint.

"MINE" two booming voices said at once.

Well. Shit.