Chapter IV

Four

THE TRIP TO Washington, DC was short. We hid the ship on the outskirts of the city. Most people wouldn't like the idea of seeing a random ship in the middle of the nation's capital that no one knows where it came from. There's enough problems in the world as it is.

     We exited the ship, and Beast asked, "Where exactly in DC is your brother at?"

     I shook my head. "The Professor didn't say. But I can show you what he looks like. Jamie knows already."

     Jamie looked up, hearing his name. He hadn't been paying attention.

     I planted the image of my brother in their head. Claire gasped. "What if my dad finds me? Why did Professor X send me with you?"

     I shook my head, shrugging. "I don't know. But I think if we run into your dad, we'll get very lucky. And if we do, I need you to keep him distracted. Make him scared. Make him angry. Make him feel guilt for dropping you off at the curb."

     Claire smirked. "It would be my pleasure."

     "Careful with him, Claire," warned Storm. "We don't know what we're after. We don't even know where we're going."

     As if they were linked, Beast and Logan both said, "We should go to the Pentagon." They looked at each other, surprised that they said the same thing.

     "Why?" The rest of us asked.

     "Okay, we have got to stop doing that," Logan said.

     Beast said, "I'm thinking that's where they keep the mutants. That's where they kept Erik Lehnsherr, or more commonly known as Magneto, when he killed JFK. It was an accident, but that's where they kept him. Below the Pentagon, where no one would find him. If Dunaway wants to keep his mutants safe from the X-Men, he'd have to of put them there."

    Logan nodded. "What he said."

     I turned to the others. "How does breaking into the Pentagon sound?"

    "Before we go, we need the guy who broke in with us last time," Logan said.

(X)

Peter Maximoff was younger than Beast, but his grey hair made him look much older. He still lived in the same house he had lived in 50 years ago, according to Logan. His house was covered with stolen goods, which made me wonder if Logan had made the right decision on asking this guy to help us break into the Pentagon.

    "Hello! Long time, no see, eh?" he shook Logan's and Beast's hands. "What do you need?" He ran across the room to a chair. It was so fast that I wondered if he had teleported.

     "Remember when we broke into the Pentagon?" Logan asked.

     Peter smirked. "The good old days."

     Logan, Beast and I filled him in. The other three were outside, waiting. They don't know Peter or much about the situation, so they thought it'd be best if they just stayed out.

     Peter was very excited to break into the Pentagon again. He was very angry with Dunaway, and I read his mind that he wanted to mess with him while he was there. I hoped he wouldn't, but after seeing his house, he probably will. I think he and Claire will get along just fine.

(X)

When we entered the Pentagon, we tried to act as inconspicuous as possible. People stared at Beast, and guards looked like they were going to capture him, but I controlled them. I told them inside their heads over and over, "Ignore him. You are just seeing things. He means no harm. Get back to work." They bought it.