Chapter XXVII

Chapter Twenty-Seven

I WOKE UP to see Logan asleep in a chair next to my bed. IVs were hooked up to me, and I wondered if I had been in more trouble than I thought. A nasal cannula was up my nose. My eye brows furrowed because I didn't know why I needed one.

        My hand wiggled out of Logan's. I reached over to his face and touched it, stroking his cheek with my thumb gently. I wanted him to wake up, and I wanted to be out.

        His opened his eyes and grabbed my hand, squeezing it too tight. When he realized who it was, he let go of my hand. "Sorry," he muttered.

        I shook my head. "Don't worry about it, Logan. I'll be fine. What happened? Why do I have this?" I pointed at the cannula.

        "They put you in surgery shortly after you went unconscious. Your collar bone was badly broken. When they were fixing it up, you went into shock again, but this time you had stopped breathing. They hooked you up an air tank to keep your breathing."

        I nodded. "I don't like it."

        He smiled. "Get used to it, kid. I think you're going to be using it for awhile."

        "Are we staying here for awhile?"

        He nodded, frowning. "Jean hasn't woken up yet. The mutant doctor - Dr. X - said that nothing is wrong with her. He thinks that her powers think that something is wrong with her, so they're working on her."

        I gulped. "What if she turns bad again?"

        He shook his head. "That won't happen. She'd be awake by now if she were bad again."

        I nodded. "Okay...."

        "Storm has ten broken bones. Her elbow, arm, fingers - all on the same arm. She'll be okay, but she says she just wants some rest."

        "And Scott?"

        "He broke his foot, but nothing too dangerous. He has a concussion, too, but it isn't serious. He'll be fine." He paused. "Their technology is advanced. Like more advanced than it should be. They healed Scott's foot. It's still broken, but he can walk on it with little pain. When I said they fixed your collar bone, they actually fixed it."

        I looked down at my collar bone where I had broken it. There was a bruise, but there was no indication that it was broken. It didn't hurt anymore either. "But...how?"

        He shrugged. "Dr. X said he wants to keep mutants healthy so they can survive the war."

        "What's the X stand for?"

        He shook his head. "He refused to tell, but Scott and I think that he's related to the Professor. They have similar features, and he's smart like him."

        I pursed my lips. "I want to scan his mind when he sees me."

        He nodded. "Be careful."

        I rolled my eyes. "Aren't I always?"

        "No," he grinned.

        I smacked him playfully.

        The familiar teleporter came inside the room. He had a bouquet of sunflowers. "I thought you liked these - at least I remembered you did."

        I smiled at them. "Thank you."

        He pulled off his mask. His dark skin showed more, and I recognized him.

        I gasped. "Andre!"