Epilogue

Epilogue

10 months later - Xmas eve

Amelia's POV

"Babe, where'd I put the mulled wine?! Everyone's going to be here soon!!!" Damien panicked from downstairs.

I stopped plaiting Bella's hair for a second, "It's by the stove, you numpty!" I shouted back. Unfortunately I had completely forgotten the actual babe, asleep in the cot...
Making himself known, and evidently angry that I'd woken him up, Lochlan burst out crying. Ah well so much for the brief peaceful moment. "Oops, sorry Bella! I'm still getting used to having Lockie home with us!"

Bella grimaced a little at the harsh noise now filling the room. "It's ok, I'll finish this, you did the hard part already. Thanks ma." Bella replied, "I'll see you downstairs - geez he's definitely got D's lungs!" I couldn't help but chuckle as she runs out covering her ears. I get up from the vanity and walk over to the cot.

"Shhh, baby it's ok. I'm sorry for waking you up. Mama's here." I cooed Lochie and picked him up from the cot. He immediately burrowed his head in my neck as I rocked him. Omg I'm still getting used to how cute he is! The tears immediately stop and I realised he's smiling up at me. Oh wow he's just as cheeky as his dad - crying to get my attention then, as soon as I give him the love he wants, he's happy again.
"Come on, let's get you dressed and then the others will be here soon." Lockie giggled as I pulled funny faces and put his Rudolph the red nosed reindeer Christmas jumper on. "Now you're as handsome as your father!" I booped him on the nose and put him on my hip. Skipping down the stairs to join the rest of my gorgeous family.

Before I even reached the kitchen the smell of mulled wine and the sound of Mariah Carey filled the whole downstairs. I stood for a moment in the doorway, observing the beautiful scene. Damien was stirring the mulled wine pot on the stove, moving his butt to the beat whilst Bella twirled around the kitchen with a mixing bowl of mince pie filling.

'All I want for Christmas is...'

Just as I was about to open my mouth to ask if I could do something to help set up the party Mariah, Bella and (a very off key) Damien all belt out "YOUUUU!!!"

On that god awful note Lochie decided to let his dad know how bad it was and burst out crying again. Damien spun around, his cheeks blushed from being caught singing his favourite Christmas song!

He turned the music down a little and came over to us, "It wasn't that bad was it L?" he took Lockie from me and kissed me on the forehead. "Babe, tell him I've got a future career as a Mariah Carey tribute artist?"

I literally snorted from laughing, "I won't insult his intelligence. I only tell lies I think he'll believe!" Holding our babe up, Damien fake cries into Lockie's tummy.

"Mummy hurt daddy's feelings! I don't think I'll ever be able to recover!"

Bella laughs from the counter, "Don't worry D, you can always be one of my backing dancers?" To this Damien pouted and looked as though he was going to have a full on tantrum but luckily the doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" Bella dashed off to let Ben and Shelley in.

I was about to join them when Damien had other ideas. He grabbed my waist and pulled me into a passionate kiss. Wow I can never get enough of these.

When we finally broke apart, I asked, "What was that for?" I hadn't even noticed Damien had covered Lockie's eyes until he used that hand to brush away a piece of hair that had fallen out of my messy bun.

"Oh so first I get neglected by my mate. Then she tells me I'm a terrible singer. And now I'm not allowed to kiss her irresistible lips?!" He had his hand on his heart acting all hurt and I swear someone should give him an Oscar already.

Then Ben and Shelley came in, closely followed by Bella who was telling little Archie all about how she'd helped make the most delicious mince pies. "Oh were not interrupting anything, are we?" Ben said as Shelley smirked from beside him.

"No no, come in and help yourself to some mulled wine and mince pies then we can get this party started!" I said, trying to tame the red tinge that had decided to grace my cheeks.

Once we were all snacked up, we settled in the living room and started our little gift swap. Since we each had plans to spend Christmas Day with the parents we were doing a mini best friends party this eve. There's honestly no one else I'd rather spend my Christmas Eve with, seeing as Ben and Shelley had been through the best and worst times with us. They deserved the world so, after they had given us a cute couples spa day and the kids some new toys, Damien and I handed over an envelope with our gift to them in it.

It was a family trip to Disneyland Paris and a cheque for £3000 for them to use on the decorating of the house they'd just bought. Obviously they tried to give it back to us but we insisted it was nothing compared to how much they'd helped us over the last year and a half. I literally don't think I'd be here today if it wasn't for them.

We hugged and I was just about to go refill the wine glasses when Bella noticed one last present under the tree.
"Who's it for, B?" Damien asked, as Shelley took Lockie out of my lap to coo over.
"It says it's for Ma!" Bella smiled and passed it to me. I wasn't expecting anymore presents so I looked over at Ben and Shelley with a questioning look.

It was a small box wrapped in gold paper with a cute white bow on top. I've never been very patient nor very good at guessing presents so I decided to get on with it. I ripped off the paper and was greeted by a matte leather jewellery box.

When I opened the box I was speechless. It was the most gorgeous sparkling diamond ring I'd ever seen. Stunned I looked over to where Damien had been sat a moment ago, but now he wasn't. Instead he was kneeling in front of me.

My eyes welled up as he said the words I used to think I'd never hear anyone say to me.

"Amelia May Croft, will you make me the happiest man alive? Will you marry me?"

*******

Thanks so so much for reading, guys. I love you all and hope you've enjoyed this journey with me. Feel free to comment any sequel ideas and until next time! Love from Emily xxx