Chapter Four

It's either I was always intentionally looking for the man named Nathaniel, or he was suddenly appearing everywhere I went

It's either I was always intentionally looking for the man named Nathaniel, or he was suddenly appearing everywhere I went. Ever since Samuel and I talked to him at his door I've been seeing him taking walk whenever I went out to jog. I've also seen him at the local grocery store and feeding the stray dog that hung about this area.

Sometimes his hair was in a low or high puff, and sometimes his hair was in cornrows. He would turn to me sometimes, and I would just stare back at him until he smiled and waved at me. Only my burning cheeks and heightened heart rate ever made me look away from him. I'm not sure why I thought about him a lot. Why I was disappointed anytime I didn't see him walking about when I was jogging—

"Elder Mathew."

"Sorry?" I said, blinking before looking over at Elder Alan who was giving me a not too impressed look. He muttered something under his breath, pushing the flier on the coffee table at the center towards me. I looked down at it, picking it up before bringing it to my view.

"We're having a move movie show soon. We're looking to invite as many people around as possible to come over," he said, and I nodded. Some sisters, as well as Samuel, were in the room with us. Most of them were chatting at a corner, while a handful of us was were sitting on the sofas around the coffee table. The room was more or less an activity room and there were pictures of prophets lining the walls as well as the red curtains that covered up the windows. The ceiling was a little low here since it was the basement.

"Oh," I muttered, looking down at the fancy plan. It looked like something the sisters had thought up.

"Yes, that would get a handful of people interested in coming over, won't it?" I heard Sister Anna said, smiling widely. Her blonde hair was plaited back, making her heart-shaped face stand out.

"I'm not sure," a petite sister said, making the people around him look his way. "Think about it, the people here don't look like they'll go anywhere that doesn't have alcohol. Didn't you go to the bar with me the other day to get fried chips?" she asked, looking over at the girl who was standing behind her.

"Well, we don't have to tell them what exactly is going to go on at the party except that it's a movie showing," a sister said.

"That's lying," the petite sister said, slouching on her seat a bit as she crossed her arms over her chest. Some people around nodded in agreement, and the girl that had replied to her rolled her eyes.

"Not really, we're not just giving them any information, Marie. Loosen up."

"That's lying by omission," Marie said, and the girl groaned.

We all started laughing for some reason and went ahead with talking about the event and how to get people to come.

Later that evening I talked to my parents through email since I was only to call home twice a year. The church was still opening to a lot of things to missions. Missionaries were recently granted the right to use social media — well, just Facebook, for the most part, and it had to be for missionary purposes.