Chapter Sixteen

"Are you sure no one will go around looking for you?" Nath asked me as he made a turn

"Are you sure no one will go around looking for you?" Nath asked me as he made a turn. I nodded, looking away from him to stare at the road ahead. Early in the evening, he had come up to the side of my window, surprising me. It took a while, but he climbed up and helped me set things before helping me down. My chest was still swelling from adrenaline and the stupid smile on my face had refused to leave.

We were in a truck-like car with no back seat. Music was playing on the radio and I looked out the window to watch the scenery pass by. The roads were lifeless — empty for the most part. We've been on the road for at least three hours now, and it was starting to get dark.

"Are we heading straight to your friend's place?" I asked, turning to face Nathaniel. His hair was in a low puff today, and he was wearing a proper shirt and a jacket instead of a tank top. He looked like he was dressed up for something, but I couldn't tell what.

"No, we're stopping at a local bar first," he said, making me raise a brow at him. He looked at me before turning back to the road. "I'm not going to make you drink alcohol if that's what you're thinking," he said, and I just hummed.

"I just want you to loosen up a bit. Have fun." I didn't have a reply to that. I wanted to spend time with Nath. That was fun to me, not hanging around in a bar with other people. I clenched and unclenched my fist, trying to calm myself. I didn't want to ruin everything by being moody, so I just decided to trust Nath.

After some time, Nath pulled out of the road and drove into a small clearing by a low building. I looked out of the window, staring at the place that looked dead. Were people even inside? Nath soon unlocked the doors and climbed down. He turned to me, motioning for me to get down too before closing his door. I hesitated, but after a while, I climbed down from the car and closed the door behind.

Nath had already started heading for the building, so I had to do a little jog to catch up to him.

As I walked into the building the music hit me. I felt a bit sick and nauseous. It was dark, but the flashing colorful lights were playing with my vision, and the crowded and noisy area didn't help things at all. I just stood there, not knowing what to do before Nath waded through the crowd and grabbed my hand. He pulled me through the sea of people until we got to an open space around tables. He held on to both my shoulders, helping me into a seat before he took the one beside me.

"Are you okay?" His tone was worried. I felt bad for making him worry.

"I feel fine," I answered as my heart rate went down. I was still squinting at the lights, but my ears were getting used to the noise. "This place is rowdy."

"It always is," Nath said in an offhand comment. I turned to look at him. He was smiling at me, and his brown eyes were giving me a look I really couldn't read. I looked away because of the intensity of his gaze.

"How come they didn't ask for any ID? We just walked in," I said, turning back to him. Nath sighed, covering his face with his hand.

"Do you want anything? Water, juice—"