•6|His New Friend

I INVITED GRAY EASTON TO MY HOUSE FOR LUNCH.

I rub my palms together and take a peek at Gray from the corner of my eyes. He tortures his caramel curls by running his fingers through them, pulling the roots of his hair with a soft sigh. It is late in the afternoon. The day was gloomy earlier, like a child had began drawing and stopped halfway -erasing angrily at his attempt to create a beautiful sky- so that everything on the paper was smudged together dully but now, it's turning out to be a beautiful day with the vast, seemingly endless sky, stretching out to infinity with it's borderless flow of clarity, green grass glistening in the sun which has started it's adventurous course down east.

Just breathe, I muse, walking down the deserted street to my home with Gray Easton beside me. Saturdays have always been my favorite days. There is no school, and I can wait till late in the night to finish my homework. I don't procrastinate much; on the contrary, I call it the "do it later" habit. Saturdays are for resting, not for homework but, the highlight of my day is realising my classmates aren't here. Teenagers can be cruel. I am not looking for a free pass in everything I do because my heart can't handle most things, but I sure as hell wish I was invisible to their bullying and sympathy.

Then again, who am I to complain? They have been good these past couple of days. They have learnt to leave me alone to my thoughts and daydreams, as long as their assignments are done. Knowing quite well I'm not the smartest girl in school or anywhere for that matter, they force me to get their assignments done and I can't fight them. Even if they floor me or slap my books out of my hand, I can never fight back because I am weak in every sense so there's no surprise there.

"My brothers can get crazy so don't get offended by their insults," I warn him. Gray hums and nods at my statement, he has been humming to everything I have been saying, not bothering to utter a word. I can't tell if he is a little shy or would rather be somewhere else. "And Didi is definitely going to flirt with you but don't pay attention to her and my little sister, Darlene. Yeah, she's a bit clingy so don't be rude to her. She's sweet."

"I get it. Your family is crazy. Can you please open the door? I'm hungry!"

I draw my lower lip in between my teeth as I push the door open. "Welcome to my home, Mr. Easton!" I announce. "Save all your sarcastic remarks to yourself," I interrupt Gray, leaving his mouth hanging open. He smiles and nods in response. "Mom!" I shout. "I'm home and I brought my. . .friend!"

"Friend?" Gray asks. "What?"

"Friend? Oh my God! Is it Gray? Gray Easton?"

I am sure Didi's screams can be heard throughout the neighborhood.

"Oh someone help that poor child," I whisper. Didi sprints down the staircase as my mother walks out of the kitchen, taking off her floral apron. "Mom, I'm home and I'm sorry for leaving without permission."

"You brought home a boy." she grins.

"Ah yeah. You remember Gray, he and I are friends now."

"I wouldn't use the word friends. . ." Gray starts, "Hello Mrs. Kaelin, Didi." Gray greets the few of my family members he's met.

"Well, lunch is ready if you want to join us, Gray?" Mom offers.

"Of course Mrs. Kaelin." Gray nods politely.

"George!" My mother yells for her husband as she skips back to the kitchen. Didi grins and follows mom, making me sigh. I let out a deep exhale and turn to Gray, unconsciously fixing the crooked collar of his leather jacket.

"We're not friends."

"Don't be mean. You bought me ice cream."

"We conned the man for his ice cream and you owe me a leather jacket," Gray says. "You drooled on me when you fell asleep on the bench."