•23|Her School Essay (Imogene)

"GIVE ME MY KEYS!"

Gray can be demanding, even when there's a physics teacher pacing around the class, handing out tests we took a week ago. The real problem here is, the only reason why Gray followed me to school is because he wants the keys to his parlour back. I ceased it over the weekend and I'm not going to give it to him. I know him. He will give in to the urge and smoke.

Mr. Rhimes places the white sheet on my desk and I gasp, sitting up. Physics is one of my weakest subjects. I am lucky if I get a C but today, there's an A circled on the sheet. It's a miracle, I muse. A miracle for helping Gray. I glance at Mr. Rhimes and he smiles warmly at me.

"You did well, Ms. Kaelin," he says.

"Thank you, Sir."

"Alright class, now that you have all gotten your papers, I think it's safe to say that I'm very disappointed in the majority of you. Some of you even got an f, isn't that right Imogene?" Mr. Rhimes walks back to the front of the class as Gray takes my paper. "Only one student got everything correct. So Imogene, if you need help with physics, I suggest you ask Genevieve to tutor you, is that clear?"

"Yes Sir," Imogene says feebly in the seat behind mine but I don't dare turn.

"Can you help her out, Genevieve?" Mr. Rhimes asks.

"No, I can't."

"You are a brilliant student. You're gonna help her." he insists.

"I will try my best, I think. . ."

Mr. Rhimes's eyes darken as the school bell chimes. "Good girl." he stands there a while, staring at me. As if he is lost in an oblivion, before he jolts slightly and dismisses the class. I glance at Gray, he has his eyes narrowed at Mr. Rhimes, the crease in between his brows tells me he has found so much to dislike on the man's face.

"Gray, stop staring at him," I whisper. "It's rude."

"I'm just gonna tell him that he's creepy," he says, trying to stand up. I quickly grab his arm with a gasp and try to pull him back into his chair.

"No, no, no. Gray please stop."

"Let go of me," he demands.

"Please sit down. If you're rude to my teacher, we'll both get into trouble."

"Let go of me before I bite your arm off," he states, his other hand on my desk as he leans into me.

"You wouldn't, you love me," I whisper.

After a moment of painful silence, he groans loudly and sits back down before I slowly let go of his arm. "Damn it! Okay fine, I won't say anything."

"Thank you."

"There's something off about him," he says, his voice is more gentler now.

"Like what?" I ask.

"I don't know," he says in parting, "but I don't like it. Whatever it is."

"Mr. Rhimes has always been like that. He's very talkative and friendly."

"That's the thing. I don't trust friendly people."

"But you pinky promise you won't say anything or be rude?" I ask, showing him my little finger.

He locks his pinky finger with mine and smiles. "I like you so much more than I planned." he kisses my hand and stands abruptly, his chair scrapping the floor loudly enough to draw looks from the five people left in class —including he and I— after the bell went off.

"No dear God," I whisper.

Gray winks at me before looking back at my teacher. "Mr. Rhimes, I have a question about your recent test. If you would be kind enough to answer it for me, it would be very helpful."