•25|His Redheaded Date

SCHOOL HAS BEEN CANCELLED TOMORROW. According to the weatherman, there's going to be a snow storm but we all know how deceitful weathermen can be, though, not going to school sounds great to me. I haven't read a word of The Native Son for my citizenship project and I can hardly concentrate on anything since my earlier argument with Gray. I fold the two sheets I made the hugging coupon on with Darlene's crayons and peek at Didi from the corner of my eyes. She's watching me silently, probably waiting for me to explode but I'm just tired.

"He can't stop lying," I say. "He lied right in my face about knowing Old Man Joe. I fear everything he has ever told me has been a lie."

"You know that's not true. Gray loves you very much," Didi says softly.

"I can't even read."

"You're  hurt, it's understandable," she says. "Gigi, how about I go downstairs and let Gray in so you two can talk, alright?" she asks, backing off the bench.

"No, I can't speak to Gray right now," I tell her. She shakes her head at me and without a second glance, she opens the door and walks out. I hear the subtle footsteps of Gray's boots as he comes in. I tuck strands of my red hair behind my ear and look up from the coupons I made. He sits down next to me, fidgeting with a white envelope in his hands. "Thanks dearest Diana, for respecting my decisions." I force a smile at my terrible sister as she closes the door.

"You still wanna rip my head off?" he starts.

"Yeah." I nod.

"Listen, I don't know how all this works and I'm trying so fucking hard not to grab my bags and run out of this town because everything seems scary and overwhelming at this point." he sighs.

"You lied," I whisper, I get off the bed and cross my arms. He also stands up.

"I did but I needed to prove to myself that this selfish part of me was still there. That I could lie to you and not feel a thing," he stated.

"So what did you find out?"

He takes a quick glance at my lips as he steps closer to me. "I think you did something to me. I had a panic attack in my car after I brought you home because you wouldn't talk to me," he whispers.

"You're just making excuses."

"I'm trying to say that I'm. . .sorry." he groans.

"Excuse me, what?"

"I'm very sorry. I will do anything to make it up to you."

I part my lips, gently sweeping my tongue over my lower lip as I smile. Unconsciously, his brown eyes flickers down to my lips and he swallows hard. "Anything?" I whisper.

He draws his bottom lip between his teeth and nods once. "Yes."

"Promise you'll never lie to me again?"

He takes a long pause and whispers, ". . .yes?"

"Gray," I growl.

"Why didn't you ask me why I'm holding this envelope?" he taps my forearm and hands me the white envelope. I open it and take out a white sheet. As I slowly unfold it, I try to think about what I was going to ask him before he distracted me with the envelope. "Bambinos is throwing a little party to celebrate coming out of bankruptcy and I'm the guest of honor. Would you like to go?"

"You are asking me out?" I ask. "What's the catch?"

"There's no catch. I upset you and this is the least you deserve," he says.

"Okay. Who are you and what did you do to Gray?"

"Let's not act childish about a simple date."

"Simple?" I squeal and chuckle. "Tell me this, how many times did you beat yourself up in your room before coming here to apologize?"