Prologue

Four cycles ago, my life ended. Well, technically, the end of my life began.

It started off innocuous enough. Just a routine examination, they said. I needed an Assessment, to make sure everything was okay. Turns out, it wasn't. Now, here I am, fleeing for my life with a group of friends and strangers. Our one hope is to find a new home, where we can live in peace as we are.

You see, I was late. A 'late bloomer' as they say. I never really felt like there was anything all that different about me. I mean, until everyone else my age started discovering their Calling.

It wasn't long before it was just me, alone. Obviously, pathetically... alone. Purposeless. No one was prepared for how different I ended up being, least of all, me.

At first the Elders assured me with inspirational stories of other 'late Bloomers' and the wonderful bonds they'd ultimately formed and their rewarding Callings. I guess the message was supposed to be that things get better in time, good things are worth waiting for, something like that. Well, they were right, in a way.

The stories did reassure me, for a while at least. Honestly? I'm ashamed to admit it, but the stories went to my head and I was even a bit smug. I pitied those poor 'early Bloomers' for rushing the process. Didn't they know they could have done so much better, if they'd only had the wisdom to hold out, like me?

Right. Like I was actually choosing to be alone? If I'd had any choice in the matter, I'd have given it all up in a millisecond, just to stop feeling like a misfit.

As time went on and I stayed alone, un-Bonded, useless, I saw the pity in their eyes. I heard the whispers, "unnatural," "waste of potential," and even, "sterile." I could handle the looks, the gossip, even the possibility of being sterile. There are worse things after all, right? But, when the others stopped even looking my way anymore, that's when I knew for sure that something was seriously wrong with me. I figured the time had come to get help, medical help.

Little did I know what Medics do to 'help' Individuals like me.

~*~*~*~

Author's note:
Hi, hope you're doing well. Love to hear your thoughts on the start to this story.

Have you ever felt like there was something wrong with you? That you didn't quite fit in...

____________________

Update: June, 2018

Dedicated to Sarah (@doctorwhosarah) for inspiring me to release my stories into the wild, even if I don't feel they're ready to be read by anyone but me (and probably will never ever be quite satisfied with them!).

Comment and vote for this chapter ⭐️