5 - Office

It was a fairly long walk to Sabeece's office, but it gave enough time to fill me in on the research process. I learned that Sabeece had compiled various obscure references from the archives, all leading to this conclusion that those who didn't Bloom by a given age were exterminated.

Unfortunately, Sabeece had so far been unable to determine at precisely what age the determination was made. As near as the Counselor had been able to figure out, no terminations had been required in several generations.

Harsh process but I guess it's effective, if it means there's been fewer aberrants like me. Depressing thought.

The first thing the Counselor did after securing the office doors and drawing the shades, was to hand me a ragged, yellowing document from the top of an unstable looking stack.

"Here's an excerpt I found in an old Medic training manual

"Here's an excerpt I found in an old Medic training manual. I wouldn't expect you to just take my word for all this."

As I started to reassure Sabeece that I didn't need proof, my eyes caught the words on page. It wasn't long, but it clearly detailed in medical language the "Expedient Termination Process of the un-Bonded Individual."

I stammered, "But... I don't understand... I... I've apprenticed as a Medic. I never saw anything about this. How... I mean... How could..."

"I couldn't make sense of it myself at first either, Grayce. As far as I can tell, this isn't part of the standard Medic training, nor is it part of their regular reading," Sabeece went on, clearing a seat for me in the cluttered office.

"I had to use my authority as a Counselor to gain access to some highly-restricted archives. Many of our Elders don't even know about the existence of these records or the true purpose of the 'Treatment Centers,'" Sabecce tried to reassure me, as if being part of a larger group of people who also didn't know that our society wasn't as fundamentally open and free as I'd believed my whole life would be comforting.

This was a lot to take in at once. Even the idea of any of our records being restricted-access was foreign to me - our records and information had always just been there, available to anyone interested or in need of them. The idea that there existed a whole process with its sole explicit purpose to extinguish anyone like me was beyond my comprehension.

"We're going to need some help... and I know just who to call."

* * *

I read the wall com message as it was being typed: 

Counselor Sabeeece to Youngling Astrid:

Come directly to my office. Speak to no one. I'll explain when you get here. Please confirm when you receive this and are on your way.

Terse, but hopefully effective.

"Sabs, why are you involving a Youngling in something so... clandestine?" I asked. "Isn't this this more of a job for someone Bonded, with full access to all resources?"

"As one of the sharpest Younglings in several generations, and with unparalled access to top research projects, Astrid is our best hope of figuring out how to trigger your Blooming." Before Sabeece could further elaborate on why a Youngling was being involved in the first place, Astrid's reply came up on the display:

On my way, be there in 5.

Thoughts circled in my mind.

How was I going to get out of this mess?

Was a solution even possible?

How did Sabs think Astrid could help?

Assuming we could finally trigger my Blooming, what would my Calling be?

Could I tolerate the restrictions of a single Calling for the rest of my existence, after having the freedom to move among so many for so long...?

Sabeece's voice pulled me back to reality, "Astrid, thank you for coming so quickly. Please come in and close the door tightly."

As Astrid complied, Sabeece continued, "Take a seat and I'll get right to the point. We need your help to find a way to save Grayce. I can't tell you more until I have your complete assurance that, even if you don't agree to help us, you won't say anything to anyone about the situation."

"Of course, Sabeece," Astrid replied automatically, while still looking for a place to sit amongst the piles of research papers occupying seemingly every unit of horizontal space in the cozy office.

"You know I would do anything to be of assistance to Grayce," Astrid added, pausing the search to glance my way with a timid smile.

"I need to make sure you understand, Astrid. We may need to do some... unorthodox things." Sabeece took pity on Astrid, relocating one pile of paper into another now ominously high pile on desk nearby, freeing up a stool.

Knowing what a stickler Astrid was for the rules, Sabeece emphasized, "We may even have to break some rules, but I  assure you, it's all for a good cause and everything we will do is to help Grayce. No one should be hurt by it. Are you okay with this, Astrid? Can you help us or keep it to yourself if you can't? Even if it involves misdirection or outright lying?"

Astrid paused to think about the implications of what Sabeece was saying, clearly taken aback. Astrid's by-the-books tendencies were evidently at odds with the trust in Sabeece and the desire to help Grayce.

Astrid finally replied, "I cannot condone any actions that would harm another or violate the codes of behavior accepted among our people, Sabecce. I think you knew that before you involved me though, so it is beyond me why you even reached out." Astrid stood up, making a dusting gesture.

Moving to the door of the small office, Astrid concluded, "At this point, you have done nothing illegitimate, so I believe this would be the appropriate time for me to exit this conversation. I wish you both all the best with your current endeavors."

~*~*~

Helllllllo Lovely!  👋🏾 Happy Thursday!
It's been a rough week - just getting over a wicked cold that hit me last Friday afternoon. There's some smoke in the air that's promising to make my cough worse too. The smell of smoke is so strong that I actually went out just before posting this to make sure it wasn't MY place on fire (so far I'm good, in case you're worried 😉).

What do you think of the story so far? Where do you think our heroes will turn now, without Astrid's help? 😰

As always, thanks for the ⭐️s and 💬

Ttfn!