4 - Scheduled

"Oh, 'Treatment Center,' that makes sense!" I sighed, my relief curving the corners of my mouth up.

This was all just a misunderstanding!

"There are treatments now, Sabs! An in-patient procedure. Quodis was telling me all about it. I have the card here somewhere..." I said, as I  started to check my pockets.

"Wait - You didn't actually tell a Medic that you were still un-Bonded, right?!?" I looked up, pausing my search for the card. Sabecce was always so eager to talk about what a rewarding Calling counseling is, I expected approval for me having sought out medical expertise, not this harsh tone.

Sabeece continued without waiting for my response, "If you did - if THAT's why Medic Quodis referred you to me, you have bigger problems!"

"That's how they find the un-Bonded, Grayce!" Sabecce started to pace my small living space.

That's good to get annoying real fast.

"Think about it!" Sabeeece gestured wildly. "Everyone goes to a Clinic at some point. A routine medical examination, an emergency..." Sabecce took a long steadying breath before starting to explain as if I was a slow-witted  Youngling.

"The Medics don't know that the so-called 'Treatment' is  actually termination. They're simply instructed to direct all un-Bonded  past a certain age to the nearest Treatment facility. When they go in,  they never come out."

"I hate to rush you, Grayce." Sabecce continued, barely pausing.  "But, I'm afraid this just became urgent, we can't stay here. You're too exposed."

"Urgent? What could be more urgent than a secret underworld to our  society, with its sole purpose do eliminate me. No wait, Individuals like me, not me specifically." I amended.

No sense being melodramatic, afterall.

"This has to be exposed, Sabeece! No one in our society would stand for this if they knew!"

"I'd be inclined to agree, if the circumstances were different, Grayce. Really, I would. It's to your credit that you're thinking of it that way," Sabecce calmed me with a hand on my forearm, continuing "I don't want to be alarmist, but you're in imminent danger."

"Danger? What do you mean? I should be fine as long as I stay clear of the Treatment Center, right?"

"That might have been the case before, but -" Sabeece's calming hand on my arm became a guiding one, turning me toward the door before even realize it.

"What do you mean 'before'...?" As if on autopilot, I allowed Sabeece to guide my steps through the open living area, toward the front of the house.

"Before you went to the Clinic. Before you filled out paperwork with your name and address on it. Before Quo filed a patient log with the details of your... predicament and that you'd been referred for 'Treatment.' " Sabeece's voice dropped to a low growl by the last sentence, as we arrived at green the front door of my house.

"Grayce, it's going to set off alarm bells once it registers," Sabecce  paused, looking both ways out the front door, as if expecting to jump out and grab us.

"I don't know how long you'll have."

As if on cue, my communicator beeped, indicating a new message.

This can't be good, I thought.

It wasn't.

* * *

The message was from a name I didn't  recognize

The message was from a name I didn't  recognize. It was cordial, but impersonal. It stated simply that, per my appointment earlier that day, a follow-up had been scheduled four cycles later at the nearest Treatment Center. Apparently the 'in-patient procedure' would be brief.

I'll bet! How long would it take to snuff me out?

I was to report to the Center by mid-cycle. Most ominously, it advised that I needn't make arrangements with my colleagues, as these would be taken care of, and "I would not be missed." That stung, no matter how true.

"Sabeece?" I said quietly, "I think you're right. This just became urgent - my termination has been scheduled in four cycles."

"What!?! Let me see that." Sabecce joined me at the  terminal.

"Uh oh! This is worse than I thought. You're not safe here anymore. Come!" Sabeece elbowed me aside to dismiss the offending notice before pulling me to my get.

"Aren't you overacting a bit, Sabs? Four cycles isn't much, but it doesn't mean I'm not safe in my own home."

"You don't understand, Grayce!" Sabeece hurried out the door, pausing just long enough to make sure I was following.

"You should be safe at my office while we figure out what's next. I'll explain on the way," Sabeece muttered, so only I could hear, eyes darting furtively left, right, and back.

At least we don't look suspicious or anything.

I followed Sabecce out my front door, still reeling from the events of that cycle. It didn't occur to me then that I would never see it again.

~*~*~*~

Hello Lovely! 😊

I hope you're doing well? This is a busy week for me - which means you get the chapter early (lucky you!).

Wonder if Grayce would have done anything differently if there was more time (or less... 😉)

I considered leaving you hanging when that ominous message came in... But I wouldn't do that to you! (This week at least! Bwahaha! 😈)

Stay tuned next week to learn what Sabeece reveals at the office.

Thanks for the votes ⭐️! You rock!