Chapter 1: Notice of Challenge

Conan's POV
The uproar of Kudou Shinichi solving the Tengu with Hattori Heiji and Sera Masumi case at Kyoto and Curasuma Renya last Friday were settled down and kept as a secret from the mass media since they would find out that I was still alive.

It was another usual day at school and we were walking home.

"See you tomorrow, Ayumi-chan/Yoshida-san, Mitsuhiko/Tsubaraya-kun, and Genta/Kojima-kun!" Haibara and I called to them.

"See you tomorrow, Ai-chan/Haibara-san and Conan-kun/Conan!" They called back as Haibara and I went home in the same direction.

Ayumi, Genta, Mitsuhiko, Haibara, and I are members of the Detective Boys. Sometimes I really can't figure out why Genta is the leader that Ayumi and Mitsuhiko get into trouble because of him.

"Did you find anything else on Kid?" Haibara asked.

Haibara Ai. Her real name is Miyano Shiho, a scientist who betrayed the black organization after she heard that her sister, Miyano Akemi, was shot to death and swallowed the poison that she thought would kill her, but shrunk her like I did. I still felt guilty for not being able to rescue Akemi-san.

She is now living with us as an elementary school girl, now in 2nd grade. Scientist Miyano Atsushi-san and Elena-san, her parents, were murdered by them.

"Ran sent me a message about Uncle Jirokichi challenging Kid again," I replied.

Suzuki Jirokichi is Sonoko's uncle and he boasts about his great exploits and possesses jewels from around the world until it was ruined by Kid when he was not on the front page of the newspaper. He owns a dog named Lupin.

Although I met the gentleman thief Lupin 3rd and his gang at Vespania to protect Princess Mira while rescuing Ran and here in Tokyo to steal the Cherry Sapphire stone. That was the last time I heard of them. At least I don't worry about Mine Fujiko-san.

Suzuki Sonoko is Ran's best friend since childhood and is a rich girl with pride, but she acts differently from the others sometimes. She has a sister who is studying in college with a koibito, her father is a mayor, and mother is a vice mayor. They live in a mansion.

Phantom Thief Kaitou 1412 a.k.a Kaitou Kid is an infamous thief and is known around the world. He is dubbed 'Magician Under the Moonlight' and 'Heisei Lupin.' Although we don't know who this sneak thief really is, he has a lot of Kid fans.

As for me, my real name is Kudou Shinichi, a high school detective. I turned 18 years old since my birthday on May 4. I like mystery books, especially Sherlock Holmes and Detective Samonji, my favourite sports is soccer, and I play the violin. You see, I was still 17 when something terrible happened to me.

(See movie 1: Time Bombed Skyscraper)

When visiting an amusement park with my childhood friend and classmate Mouri Ran, who won her Second-Degree Black Belt in a karate championship 2 days after the aquarium case at Tropical Land, I witnessed a suspicious transaction between two men in black after the Mystery Coaster case.

While I was occupied in watching the transaction, I failed to notice another man in black sneaking up behind me.

That man forced me to swallow poison, and when I came to... My body had shrunk into a 7 year-old kid!

If those men found out that Kudou Shinichi is still alive, my life would be in danger again and everyone involved with me will be at risk.

Following Professor Agasa's advice, I decided to conceal my true identity.

When Ran asked me for my name, I blurted 'Edogawa Conan.'
I moved in with her and her detective father to find out any news of the black men. I am now 8 years old as Edogawa Conan.