Chapter 22: The Perfect Antidote

Vermouth's POV
As I was walking to his cell and bringing soup on a tray, my heart was beating fast. He must still be angry with me as I opened the door. There was a guard and I had my best poker face on. Somehow, the guard emits a strange aura that feels familiar to me. I entered the room and closed the door behind me.

"I've come to bring you food," she offered, handing him a bowl of soup with beef and spoon.

"Arigato, but I'm not hungry, Vermouth," he refused, pushing it back to me.

There was a growling noise and I realized it was his stomach grumbling. I smirked and acted like I was leaving.

"Okay. Whatever you say-"
"Chotto! I'll take it please," he pleaded, cheeks flushing in embarrassment.

Then I gave the food to the shrunk detective gently on the floor.

"Itadakimasu," he mumbled, clasping his hands together. It was almost like a whisper.

I still felt the tension in the air around him. I didn't stare at Kudou-kun since that's rude on his part.

"May I ask you a question?" He asked, his expression serious.

"Yes. What is it, Silver Bullet-kun?" I asked, after answering his.

"Have or haven't you deliberately led your hired kidnappers take the wrong girl instead of Ran on purpose because she looked like her then left them to be shot dead?" The shrunk detective began, carefully choosing his words.

"No. It hadn't occurred to me that Angel would have a look alike, and even her detective father would also look alike. I they weren't exactly alike based on their eyes and hair. And like you predicted, I left the kidnappers to die on purpose," I replied, coolly.

Try as I may, failing to hide my emotions is difficult when he's around.

"That doesn't mean you can just endanger someone else's life, Vermouth," he growled, his voice in a serious tone.

"I didn't want Angel to be in that situation, Kudou-kun! If you were in my shoes, what would you have done? Endanger the person you cherish or put her life in danger?" I snapped, looking away from him.

I can't let him see me like this! I thought, wiping my eyes with a handkerchief.

"Look, I don't want to put Ran in danger, either, but that doesn't mean I trust you. You still have to pay for your crimes," Kudou-kun said, heaving a deep sigh.

"I still haven't told them about your identity, but do you know why I chose to keep it a secret?" I asked, smiling mischievously.

"Whatever your reason is, I'm not-"

"Both you and Ran showed me mercy when that railing couldn't hold my weight back in New York. Remember?" I asked, racking his brain.

I waited for it to sink in until he remembered that memory.
-------------------
A man with silver hair was sprinting down the stairs, holding a gun in one hand and the other shielding his wound. He came upon a highschool girl striding up the stairs, weary and scared.