[12]

"I can't believe you still didn't unpack," Hollis said, her eyes gazing around the room that was full of boxes.

Allison laughed at her comment. "Yeah, I know. But," she paused and shrugged. "I don't know. We move so much that I didn't want to put all the effort into making this my room only to pack it up later." A frown appeared on her face, which she quickly replaced with a weak smile.

"But you stayed in San Francisco for over a year, right? Who knows, maybe you'll actually stay here." Hollis stood up from the bed and walked over to where Allison sat at the desk. "Come on, I'll help you unpack."

Allison nodded, staring down at the box in front of her. "Let's start with this one. It's smaller." She pulled out a photo and smiled at the words on the back of the picture.

Philly Girls 4eva. We'll miss you!

Hollis read over her shoulder. "Do you guys still keep in touch?"

"Sometimes," Allison answered, slipping the photo into the corner of the mirror. "But, you know how it is. The long distance, different schedules and a few phone calls a week turns into once a month until eventually it stops."

"Well, if you ever move, which you won't because I won't let you," Hollis started, "we'll always be friends. I promise."

Allison smiled as she looked into the box, pulling out a jewelry holder in the shape of a tree. "Can you find a place for this?" She asked, holding it out for her.

"Sure," Hollis said, taking the stand. She turned, eyeing the room for a place where she could place it. She walked to the dresser by the window and put it down. Gingerly, she moved it until she deemed it stood in a good place. "Anything else you want me to find a place for?" She asked over her shoulder, moving towards the window.

Allison rummaged around in the box before saying, "Uhm, not yet. Give me a second."

As she waited, Hollis looked out the window. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw quick movement on the roof. Curious, she moved forward to see what was out there. For a few seconds, all she saw was darkness but then she saw the movement again.

"Think I should put this here?" Allison asked, stepping beside her. When she noticed Hollis jump, she laughed. "Sorry, didn't mean to sneak up on you."

"It's ok," she said with a small laugh. "But now I know how Stiles feels," she added. She glanced at the two decorative pictures Allison held and at the spot she wanted to place them. "Yeah, it's a good place for them," she said distractedly before she glanced back towards the window.

"What are you looking at?" Allison asked, following her stare.

"I-I just thought I saw something."

"Like a squirrel?" She joked but her smile fell when she noticed her expression. "There's nothing out there, Hollis."

Just as Allison went to pull the window shut, Hollis briefly caught the glimpse of a face.

"Wait, did you see that?" Hollis asked, turning to her. "I swear there was something or someone out there."

Quizzically, Allison looked back towards the window but there was nothing there. "Well, whatever it was, it's gone now."

Hollis opened her mouth to respond but the sound of a thud outside caused her to stop. "What was that?"

Allison shrugged and glanced out the window. "Oh my God. Come on!" Without another word, she moved from the window and left the room.

Hollis rushed after Allison, wondering what had happened. She ran down the stairs and then out the front door but stopped when she saw the scene before her. Mr. Argent's car was parked in front of the house with the door still open and, as Hollis peered into the night, she saw a figure lying beside the car. Horrorstruck, she realized that figure was Scott.