[15]

"Thanks for giving me an extension. I promise to turn something in soon," Hollis said, readjusting the strap of her bag.

"Just don't wait too long, Hollis. I'm already making an exception for you," Mrs. Carrillo said and uncrossed her arms.

With a nod, she took a step back and entered the hallway. As always, it was packed with students going to their lockers, walking with friends and doing everything and anything possible to make it difficult to maneuver through. Hollis made it around the corner, catching sight of Jackson just as another figure walked away. Curious, she stopped beside him but her eyes trailed after the mystery visitor.

"What was that about?" Hollis questioned.

"Nothing. Don't worry about," Jackson said with his usual tone.

Rolling her eyes, she sighed. "Right, I forgot. Having a conversation with you is impossible."

He looked at her, the glare evident in his eyes. The set of his jaw suggested that he wanted to respond but, after a second, his gaze softened and he shook his head. "Sorry," he said, surprising them both.

A smile tugged at her lips and she laughed. "Did you just apologize?"

"Shut up, Hollis," he said although a faint smile showed on his face. He leaned against the locker, looking in the direction the other person went in. "But it was some tweaker looking for McCall. Whatever he's using, that guy looks like crap."

"Scott's not on drugs," she stated.

"Well, he's using something. How else can you explain that he's better at lacrosse?"

"I don't know, practice and hard work?" Hollis suggested, only to get a scowl from Jackson.

"And bowling? He started out horrible and then kept getting strikes the entire night."

She tilted her head. "Jackson, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to cheat at bowling. And lacrosse. Whatever it is, it's not drugs." The answer didn't seem to satisfy him because his scowl deepened. Ignoring his attitude, Hollis looked past him. "But I'm pretty sure that 'tweaker' was Derek Hale. Why would he be here, though?" She asked, more to herself than to him.

Jackson shrugged in a way that let her know he didn't know or care. "No idea."

Hollis fought the urge to roll her eyes at him. "Anyway, as usual, it was great talking to you," she said sarcastically.

She moved away from him and turned down the corner. Her eyes searched the many students that occupied the small space but she was unable to see where Derek had gone...if it had been him in the first place. After a quick search, she gave up and turned towards the stairs. At the sight of Lydia and Allison, she quickened her pace but once she reached them, she missed the first step and stumbled before grabbing hold of the railing.

"Watch your step," Lydia said at the same time that Allison asked, "Are you ok?"

Hollis laughed and nodded. "Yeah. I kinda didn't see that." She straightened her bag then turned to her friends with a smile. "So, what are we talking about?"

"Allison's study date with Scott this afternoon," Lydia said. "But we all know that just studying never ends with just studying. It's like getting into a hot tub. Somebody eventually cops a feel."

Hollis rolled her eyes while Allison's cheeks flamed up in a blush.

"So, what are you saying?" Allison asked, trying and failing to keep the embarrassment out of her voice.

"I'm saying make sure he covers up," Lydia stated. When Allison looked confused, she sighed. "Hello, Snow White! I'm talking about a condom."

"Lyd, isn't it a bit too soon?" Hollis asked.