Part One - Good Bye Home, Welcome to Camp Green Lake

My treasure that all you seek

Could be right beneath your feet

For what touched my lips, my love you took

And for his sake, my fortune you will look

Generation after generation, sons after sons

073241

Chapter 1

 “Kathlyn Barlow the jury has found you guilty…”

I flinched at the sound of my name. Sixteen and still that name bugged me. I always used ‘Kat’ as my name. My name is Kat. I looked up at the judge and glared. I was in court. 16 and in court - the new hit TV series. Why am I here? I think I’ve asked myself that over a thousand times. What I did wasn't too bad. Well, at least I thought so. All I did was steal a car and wreck it - accidently. I mean people have done worse, right? Right? Well, the jury didn't agree with my thoughts.

"You have been sentenced to eight months in imprisonment,” said the middle aged, grey haired man. I wanted to object, to throw a tantrum and argue my case; but to be honest I was never that good at public speaking. So i just sat and groaned, getting disappointed looks. The judge leaned forwards, his cold blue eyes looking straight into mine, “You have a choice. Either you attend Camp Green Lake or Jail."

Camp Green Lake? My eyes widened at the thought. I’d never heard of a camp as being a punishment. It definitely wasn't going to be a camp of fun, heeellll no. Not one little bit. It was going to be a living nightmare. It was probably full of thug-ish girls and people who smelt bad. But anything was better than jail, I'd give him that.

 "Camp Green Lake." I said in full confidence even thougth the stares of the jury bore into my soul.

"Camp Green Lake it is. Eight months. You have tonight to prepare. Court dismissed." The judge sighed. He rose out of his chair and hobbled off. As the jury began to leave I swiftly walked out of the court and ran outside. Eight months in a camp, not too shabby Kat! I opened the door into my family’s car and expected my mom to slap me as hard as she could; which is typically what she did whenever i did something bad. But, oh, how wrong I was. As soon as I sat down in the passenger seat she went off as if inside her mouth was a ticking bomb that just exploded. Her eyes were wild and crazy and her black hair was all frizzed up. I tried to share my opinion yet she wouldn't have it. The screaming continued on, and on and on. I chose to zone out, staring out the window as the scenery rolled past. Once we pulled up the driveway outside our home and got out the car and were safely out of sight inside our house, she wrapped her finely manicured hands into my hair, yanking as hard as she could. I bit down hard on my tongue. I could feel the rusty taste of blood.

"How could you be so stupid?” She hissed shaking me back and forth. Lights flashed in my eyes. I gasped for air like a fish out of water, trying to calm myself. She let go. I took several deep breaths whilst I glared at her. Oh, if looks could kill.  I wonder what caused me to be a rebel child? Hmmm, I’ll give yo the answer. Mother

I rushed upstairs to my room before she could do any more damadge, her harsh words echoeing in my head. Slamming the door I fell onto my bed and wept. I didn’t want to go to that camp. But something inside me longed to leave. Something inside told me I would do anything to get away from this horrible house. “Kathlyn,” my mother wailed from downstairs, “get packed for that c-camp! You're leaving tomorrow …good riddence...” the rest I couldn’t make out but the sound of my mother still made its way through my locked door. After almost killing me she always goes for the booze to forget. Sighing deeply I rolled over to my side and gazed out the window. The moon was full and the soft glow made shadows on the cream carpeted floor as the little stars twinkled all around it. My tears dribbled down the sides of my cheeks and I swiftly rubbed them away. Why was my life so freakin' messed up?  I tossed my body to the side and sat on the edge of the hard springy bed. Tears dropped to my knees and caused the silky fabric of my knee-length green dress to darken. After a short moment I got myself together, stumbled over to an old wooden closet and pulled out a Nike bag from underneath. Before I got packing I pulled off the dress and flung on a pair of leggings and sweater.

Then I started to work. What to bring, what to bring? Living there was gonna be harsh. Into my bag went numerous amounts of snacks, just in case nothing was edible at ‘Camp Green Lake’. Chips, chocolate, candy; all raided from the storeroom downstairs (without my mother knowing of course) I threw in some clothes and a bikini. Surely there must be a lake at Camp Green Lake. They wouldn’t have named it that unless it had a lake, like if it was hot and placed in a desert it would be called ‘Camp Hot Sand’ or something stupid like that. Oh, and some sunscreen. Ya, know... Just in case. i looked up and pondered. Anything missing...I gazed to my bedside table. My iPod! Of course I couldn’t leave it; the little blue square was my heart and soul. Also the only thing of value I owned. I grabbed it and cradled in my hands. Knowing my mother she would just throw it away…destroy it even when I'm gone. I swear her life mission was to make mine miserable in every possible way.        

As I gazed into the dark glass touch-screen, my reflection stared up at me. Wow, I look like a wreck! I smirked at myself. The reflection copied. My brown mid-length hair was in a mess, not its usual wavy style. My deep brown eyes were now smothered with mascara, which had also painted thin lines down my face. Zombie look is in this season, and I’m rocking it! I laughed to myself, standing and chucking the iPod into the Nike bag. I stood up, zipped and shoved the bag by the door. After streching my arms, I yawned. Today was terrible. Who am I kidding? The longer I was here, the worse it got! Green Lake better be decent. I slowly sunk into my creaking bed, wrapping myself in the covers and passed out.