Arrangements

Chapter 2

Things were going pretty well at school. We all fit in some place or another. At lunch there was no awkward silence and no strange glances (well except from the ‘bitch table’ which I had christened the blondes). I sat on a big round plastic bench table with Mackenzie, Phoenix, Tara, Charlie, Squid, Jeremy and a bunch of others. By now I had found out a lot more about my gang. Mackenzie and Phoenix are best friends, ever since they were born. Jeremy had known Jack forever and was on the soccer team as goalie. Tara was the one that surprised me the most. She told me that she used to be part of the ‘bitches’ as we called it, but then she moved away and started hanging out with people like us. As Phoenix and Mackenzie were talking to Squid why Inkburt was the perfect name for him, Tara leaned in and whispered to me and pointed at some guys as I ate. The first was a jock.

“That’s Josh, he’s well fit isn’t he?” She whispered. “Quite a good snogger but he’s not into second base, if you know what I’m saying.” Tara giggled and pointed at someone else. She basically went through all the guys. The last one she pointed out was tall, handsome, with curly brown hair. “Now out of all the guys at this school I’ve shagged, he is the best!” That took me by surprise. She didn’t seem like the kind of girl that would go around having sex.

“Wait what?” I stuttered. She ignored me.

“Darren Butler.” She swooned. I think he heard her because he looked over his shoulder and glanced at us. We turned away quickly but out of the corner of my eye I saw him flash a bright smile. Tara sighed. “But, it’s too late for that…I found out he was seeing some Swiss girl at the peak of our relationship, then before I knew it, I was saying it was over.” I gave her a sympathetic look. “It’s okay though, I’ve moved on.” But, the thing was she didn’t look like she had.

“There’s plenty of fish in the sea…” I said.

“Yeah.” Tara mumbled, “What about you? Are yah seeing someone?” I laughed and motioned at Squid who was arguing with Phoenix about how smart an octopus is.

“That thing over there is my boyfriend.” I said.

“Damn! I was going to go for him…” Tara winked. “Jokes! I wasn’t really, but he is really hot.”

“Why thank you.” Squid said next to me, as he flicked his hair deliberately. The table snickered. When we had finished eating and gone to our lockers, I was pulling out my Biology file when my phone started going off. The whirring noise of the vibrations filled my locker. It was an MSN of the D-Tent members’ chat. I shifted my heavy folder to my left arm and grabbed it with my right to push the middle button. The screen lit up.

^1 New Message^

Between; ReXRay, ArmpitCotton, José.Mag.Castro, ~Zig-Zag~, SQIUDwardSmith, StanleyYelnats56, oOHectorOo, TwitchBPreston, CharlieAkerman:), *KatBarlow*

^StanleyYelnats56^: Hey guys! My dad’s invention works, so I’m inviting all u guys to my place 4 a get together or somethin? The full details are on FB but my house has a pool so bring swimming stuff. I think its gonna be in 3 weeks. Reply soon. :)

I typed in my reply.

*KatBarlow*: Right i’ll check fb when i get home, in schl, u almost made me drop my files STAN-LEY ;) haha any ways g2g xx

It buzzed again.

^2 New Messages^

^~Zig-Zag~^: Okay. i’ll ask. Charlie, i’m taking my drivers test tomorrow, so see you soon?

^CharlieAkerman:)^: Yeah, sure when? I’m taking mine next week.

*KatBarlow*: Awwww, the little couple are going to meet up!! I guess I won’t come and just leave u 2 to it ;) xx

^3 New Messages^

^ReXRay^: Sure thing Caveman, I’ll see yah there.

^ArmpitCotton^: I’ll check but probs yea. Lol Kat!

^CharlieAkerman:)^: Fuck off Kat, u and squid r the loved up couple not us . . . y r we even tlking on this, I’M RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!

I looked up to see Charlie glaring me from across the hall. I shut my locker and juggled two other folders into my left arm.

*KatBarlow*: i love you too, Haha don’t deny it Charles!! And its easier, i cant be bothered to walk over. Going to class now, byes xx

^1 New Message^

^CharlieAkerman:)^: -__- meanie

I put down my phone back in my locker and shut it. As I walked past, going towards my first lesson, I saw Squid coming towards me. His face was happy until he noticed a group of guys checking me out. I rolled my eyes and stood next to Charlie and Taraand laughed at the guys trying to show off. Then I saw Squid roll up his sleeves and storm towards the unsuspecting group.