The First is Always The Hardest

Chapter 7

I woke up with a start still screaming. I shot up and fell out of my cot. The second I heard that bell ring, the guys laughed, as I lay there on the ground, grumbling and unmoving. That was one weird dream.

"What the fuck? I've never woken up at this god damn time. What time is it, four?" I yawned, sat up and stretched to the air. I grabbed my hairbrush from inside my box and tried to gently brush through the knots. I pulled and tugged. I gave up and decided to just leave it. I honestly couldn’t be bothered. My crazy hair up in its high bun, I stripped off my pajamas, standing in my underwear and bra. I was too tired to care and put on a white tank top. That crappy orange suit was next. As I pushed up the sleeves I looked at the guys. They all stared at me weirdly. “What?” They all looked away and mumbled different things.

"Well, you better get used to getting up this early… you'll be doing this for the next eight months." Said X-Ray blinking. I think he was confused about what he just saw. I rolled my eyes and trudged out the tent. I was outside in less than five minutes, which was my new record, though my eyes were still shut. I opened them and it was still dark. I heard the boys come out behind me. A gunshot sounded which opened my eyes, only to see Mr. Sir shooting a… lizard? It looked like the one from my weird dream that bit Katherine. Mr. Sir crab walked away from the showers. His eyes were wild and darting around, his hair was mangled. The boys were staring at him too. He looked at us and carried on walking. He disappeared behind the Mess Hall. Another gunshot rung through the heavy air.

"Uh, Squid, why was Mr. Cowboy shooting a, well, lizard?" I turned to Squid who was walking away with the rest of the boys to a line of others. I caught up and stood behind him.

 "You know those things are dangerous, don't you? If you get bit by them, well you’d be gone after a slow painful death.” He said.

“You can tell it’s a Yellow Spotted lizard ‘cus of the eleven spots it has down its back…” said Zigzag as we moved farther up in the long line.

“Yeh but if you get close enough to count them, you’re probably going to end up dead.”  Zero said quietly from behind me.

“Really?”  He nodded as a reply. I shuddered thinking how much pain poor Katherine must have been. Squid tossed a shovel at me and I followed him to another line. The breakfast queue. My breakfast was… interesting. It was a moist tortilla, which was dipped in honey. It dripped the gooey honey to the sand as I took one. Well, at least I think it was honey.

I walked behind the boys trying to eat the tortilla without it getting all over me, when Mr. Sir *cough* Creepy Cowboy *cough* beckoned to me. I walked over to him. Mr. Creepy Cowboy spat on the sand.

“This is where you’re gonna dig your hole. Five foot wide and five foot deep, you can use your shovel to measure.” He walked away and pulled out a handful of sunflower seeds from his pocket. He started popping them into his mouth. I looked at the ground, and sunk my shovel into it. After around two feet the sun was high in the sky and I could feel the full blast of it on my shoulders. I took a swig of my canteen, getting the last mouthful and stared up and shoved my shovel deeper. At least I was getting a good tan. I didn't bother asking someone how long it would exactly take, because, by the time I reached three feet, it was lunchtime, canteen-filling time, and annoy the crap out of Mr. Mean Shrink time! On the back of a blue truck a huge tank filled with water had a nozzle to fill up our empty canteens. I skipped over to the line and stood behind Zero.

“Hey, Kat, come stand behind me.” Said Zigzag as he pushed Zero back and tugged my arm.

“She can go in front of me, if she wants to?” asked Squid but before I could refuse he took my hand and pulled me in front of him, behind Armpit. What was this, the status quo?