Chapter 3: hGH

Scarlet red hair. Dark green eyes. Pale skinned with freckles. British features.

Reina stared at her new appearance before slipping into a short pencil skirt and a white blouse. Fixing her hair into a messy bun, she added thick rimmed glasses as a finishing touch.

"You will first investigate the family of Deputy Director General Kitamura. He has a wife and two sons. Pose as their English tutor, investigate thoroughly. "

She exited her room. Lawliet was eating cake on the couch. He looked up, hearing her heels clack against the marble floor.

The cake fell out of his mouth as he caught sight of her.

"Ms. Taylor at your service." She said teasingly, tipping her glasses with a wink.

He regained his composure. "You look.. different."

"That is the point, darling." She replied in a thick, posh accent.

Reina secured the ear pierce she wore, L testing to see if it worked. Surveillance cameras and wiretaps were already set within the house. All she had to do was see if anyone in the household had a possibility of being Kira.

KIRA. The figure responsible for the mass heart attacks of criminals happening around the globe. Many view Kira as a savior, while others see him as the devil. He is said to punish the evil in the world in hopes of achieving a crimeless utopia. A killer who only needs a name and a face.

The thought of Kira made her feel uneasy.

"Do you believe in God?" She asked suddenly, leaning on the head of the couch, right behind Lawliet.

"No." He answered, feeling her arms hug him from behind. He leaned towards her warmth, the scent of her perfume engulfing him. His eyes closed for a moment, enjoying the feeling of her protective embrace.

"Be careful, okay?" She murmured, her head buried in the crook of his neck. "I've got a bad feeling about this."

He nodded. "..How are the children?"

She smiled. "They miss your lectures. Near and Mello are always bickering as per the usual. We should visit them together, once this case is over. "

"Once the case is over." Lawliet agreed, but even he felt uneasy at the thought of catching Kira.

They both knew it was far from over.

~ * ~

Ms. Taylor rang the doorbell of the two story house, waiting patiently.

"Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3." Matsuda mused on the earpiece. His eyes scanned the surveillance cameras. He did a double take when he noticed the camera with Ms. Taylor.

"Is that Reina?" He gasped.

Aizawa looked over his shoulder, his eyes widening. "No way! She looks like a whole different person! "

The three other men looked up from their files, each showing a look of surprise when they caught sight of her. They watched as a middle aged woman opened the door, letting Reina in with a smile.

"Can we trust her? We do not even know what she's capable of." Soichiro Yagami frowned.

"Have you heard the alias The Seductress?" L inquired, making a sugar cube tower on the coffee table.

Matsuda gasped dramatically. "No way! Is Reina her!? "

"Makes sense." Aizawa commented.

Soichiro's frown deepened. "Who?"

"An elusive woman, using her sensual body to seduce and manipulate her targets. Her hit count is in the hundreds. No one knows what she looks like. No one knows who she truly is. The only way to identify her is by the scar on her inner thigh." Mogi practically exclaimed in excitement.

All eyes fell on him, his usual stoic facade gone. He cleared his throat awkwardly, "I mean.. Not that I keep up with her or anything."

"You could say Mogi is her number one fan." Aizawa chuckled, nudging him with his elbow.

"I feel honored to have spoken to her. We are the first people to know what she looks like! All the guys back at headquarters will be so jealous." Matsuda laughed, Ukita agreeing.

"You know she can hear all of you, right?" L asked, his sugar cube tower wobbling.

Reina looked straight at the surveillance camera, a smirk dancing on her lips. Mogi blushed while the others shared the look of embarrassment. She focused her attention back on the enthusiastic wife who was busy baking while bragging about her sons.

"Kaito loves sports. He's in his last year of high school, by the way. He does them all. Basketball, track, tennis ... He won the national state championship! He's even qualified to compete in the Olympics," Mrs. Kitamura flashed a proud grin before continuing. "Riku, he's only in middle school, and he's already valedictorian! He's so smart .. "

The oven beeped. She gasped. "Oh my goodness! I burned them." She gave Reina a warm smile, "Sorry, I'm keeping you from doing your job. "

"It's no problem, really."

"Kaito! Riku! Come down here please!" Mrs. Kitamura hollered, throwing the burnt cookies away before shoving the pan under the sink.

Footsteps entered the kitchen. It was Kaito, the eldest son. Reina gave him a once over. Dyed blonde hair, dark brown eyes. Tall, athletic structure. Small cuts on his knuckles, some fresh. He must have gotten into a fight recently. He was definitely handsome. A player, most likely judging by the way he dressed and how he carried himself.

Kaito looked up and his jaw dropped. Ample bust and curvy physique.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Miss Taylor. "

His trousers tightened, her foreign accent seductive. He flashed her an arrogant smile, "I'm Kaito. Can't wait for our lessons. "

The other son entered. Reina frowned. He had a slight limp on his leg. Dark bags rested underneath his dull eyes. She noticed how he wore long sleeves even though it was scorching outside. He wore large glasses.

Riku forced a smile. "H-Hi."

Reina noticed how Mrs. Kitamura seemed oblivious to her own son's miserableness.

Abuse? No... Must be bullying. Smart intelligent kid, hiding in the shadow of his popular older brother. Bullied pretty harshly judging by the limp and whatever is hiding underneath his shirt. He must hate those bullies.. He may have...

A reason to be Kira.

— — —
Growth Hor·mone
/ ɡrōTH ˈhôrˌmōn /
noun
a hormone that stimulates growth in animal cells secreted by the pituitary gland. Recombinant version that is used to treat children with growth hormone deficiencies and has been used especially by athletes to increase muscle mass - abbreviation hGH - see somatropin.
— — —