Chapter 4: Galantamine

"Today was a bust." Reina sighed, taking off her glasses before plopping on the spot next to Lawliet.

"Kaito is just an idiot who's good at sports. Riku is intelligent but a coward." He agreed, deleting their files from the suspect list. "Neither set off any alarms."

She rested her head on his shoulder, watching his fingers glide across the keyboard. "Riku does not have the eyes of a murderer." A harsh breath left her lips. "Trust me, I would know."

His hands stopped typing. "Because you are one yourself?"

She nodded, "He does not have the eyes of a monster."

There was a moment of silence. Lawliet rewinded the tape before stopping the feed, pointing at the screen. Instead of teaching English, Ms. Taylor had decided on a different lesson. The tutor called out the bruises and the limp, intimidating Riku into spilling his tragic life story. "You really got through to him. Telling him to stand up for himself, that he was better than his brother. You even taught him a few self defense moves afterwards. You probably changed his life, Reina. "

She watched the scene play out in front of her with a smile. Riku was struggling with learning to block a punch, but he soon got used to it. They high fived, both grinning from ear to ear.

"And for what it's worth, I think your eyes are quite beautiful."

Her heart stuttered. She looked up at him with vulnerable eyes. Lawliet looked back with one of his rare smiles. His wide, curious eyes glanced at her pink inviting lips. He imagined its taste of strawberry ice cream, soft and sweet.

"Oh, Lawlipop." His old nickname rolled off her tongue teasingly. She acted blind to his obvious attraction, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek to snap him out of daze. "Just what on earth would I do without you?"

She got up and sauntered to the kitchen across the room, opening the fridge to fetch popsicles. Her hand stopped before reaching the frozen desserts, fingers trembling. Her thoughts flashed back to the glazed look on Lawliet's face, her heart beat pounding in her ears.

They've known each other for years. Through thick and thin, they remained together. What has their relationship come to? It scared her. Her body felt dirty and impure. He was the only good thing in his life.

And she'd do anything to save him. Even from herself.

That promise was set in stone. Despite this, her body became hot at the thought of what had happened if she had not stopped him. His lips melting moving against hers .. His hands gripping her hips .. Him inside her .. Unimaginable pleasure. In her many years of work, of sleeping and seducing countless men, she had never felt such a strong desire.

Reina bit her bottom lip, her mind a confused haze.

'What the hell is happening to me?'

Lawliet blinked. One minute she was there. The next, gone.

A disappointed breath left his lips. For as long as he could remember, she always held a special place in his life. His allies came and went but she was the only one that remained constant. And Watari. But unlike the old man, Lorraine was someone who made him want to be normal.

He could picture it. The cheesy white picket fence, protecting a two story house. Inside, he would wake up to the smell of his favorite flavored cake, the girl he married knowing exactly what he likes. Their children off at school, training to become officers of the law in order to protect the innocent. Just as their parents once did.

Yes, even the great L dream of the perfect future he wished he could obtain. But it was impossible. That thought brought him back to reality.

His phone suddenly rang, Watari's name flashing across the screen. His finger pushed the green button, "It's Ryuzaki. I have a question. "

"..What is it? Is it about Reina? "

He opened his mouth to reply but the sound of the door opening stopped him. "Hold on, Watari."

Reina had changed into athletic wear. Lawliet almost dropped the device at the sight of her revealing display. Tight black shorts that showed off her sensual legs, men ready to commit murder just to be able to touch or be lucky enough to be in between them. A mere sports bra left her provocative figure in view. No wonder they called her The Seductress.

"Where are you going?" His monotone voice hid his flaring jealousy.

Her next words were like a dagger to the heart.

"A date. I'm sleeping at his place. Don't wait up. "

She left, locking the door behind her, not wanting to see his reaction. She knew she'd hurt him, but this slight pain would be nothing compared to the consequences if he let himself fall too deep for her. Her line of work is dangerous, with enemies around every corner.

He would never be safe. Just like her.

The phone in her pocket buzzed.

Unknown Number

Let's play again, sporca puttana ~

Another text, one of many she had started to receive a few weeks back. She glared, quickly deleting it. But the memories were forever engraved in her brain.

Their disgusting hands touching her. Their drunken laughter drowning her screams. Her master moaning in her ear, "You like that, sporca puttana ?"

It was a pet name given to her by the man who sold her to other men. It meant dirty whore in Italian. But who would know that? Only those who were there knew of that name. What if they have returned?

She shook her head. There was no way. She had killed them all. At least, that's what she thought.

Her mind was like a storm, conflicting thoughts piling one over the other. Her grip on her gym bag tightened as she blew the bangs out of her face harshly.

I need to blow off some steam.

— — —
Ga·lan·ta·mine
/ ga·lan·ta·mine /
noun
A drug, C14H22N2O2, that inhibits the action of cholinesterase and is used to treat dementia in people with Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
— — —