27. The Power Cut

Sam's P.O.V

More months flew by, and for once, I did try to socialise.

I spoke to Vicky more, who understood why I had been so quiet after Jerome's death, and decided not to push me on it. I was grateful for it, and still am.

I also spoke to Selina a few times.

And I was there to comfort Lee when Jim was sent to prison. In the end, she wanted to be alone after losing the baby I didn't even know she had, and I respected her decision. She left for a while. Then, she came back to Gotham. With a fiancée. When she told me, I was shocked. I kinda shipped her and Jim, but I still said I was happy for her.

It took a turn for the worst when she got married, and her husband was quickly killed later that night, by none other then Jim Gordon.

Lee came to me, and I coddled her.

She loathed Gordon, and to be honest, I couldn't blame her. But, I didn't pick sides since I wasn't there.

Luckily for me, when the Tetch virus corrupted Gotham somehow even more, I was out of town. That was the time when I went to visit my Dad. Ha. What an asshole. And no, I will not be visiting again.

Was Jerome still on my mind? Of course. Constantly. It was hard not to think that some ginger I saw across the street was him, or that some loud laugh I heard didn't actually come from his own mouth. Then again, I could recognise his laugh from anywhere. It was strangely unique. And scary as hell.

I sit up from my bed, after a long nap, placing on a shirt and some shorts. Why do I sleep during most of the day, and not a lot at night?

Don't ask me.

I grab my ice cream pot from the freezer, getting prepared for a movie marathon, or even a binge watch, if I find a good enough show.

That's when my phone goes off, and I walk over to where it's sat on my couch, placing the ice cream on the sofa and then reading the caller I.D.

Gordon.

Why is he on my contacts list, you ask? Because after Jerome died, Lee was worried that the people who got Jerome out of Arkham would target me, so she practically forced me to put his number onto my phone, just incase someone did try to get me, and I had enough time to call for help.

I pick it up, trying to sound casual.

"Hey, Detective Gordon. Why are-"

"Samantha, are you okay? Where the hell are you?!" He sounds really worried.

I laugh nervously, "I'm fine, Gordon. What's this about?"

"Lock your door, now."

"What the hell is going on?" I push the phone closer to my ear, not really knowing why he's calling me up out of the blue like this.

"Just do as I say. Then, turn on your T.V."

"O-Okay..." I lock my door, "You're kinda creeping me out, Jim."

I switch on the T.V, and the first thing that comes on is the news.

"-channel nine's van was stolen this evening. We are now getting video from the thief, which we will play, in hopes it leads to his apprehension," The newsreader comments.

The screen fuzzes.

"Testing..." A scratchy and deep voice I know speaks.

"No," I whimper.

"Testing..."

A face is nearly pressed up against the camera, frightening me to death.

It can't be.

"Am I live? Am I on air? You hear me? Ah, screw it. Let's do it," he leans back, and I get a good look at him.

He's wearing a police uniform, but that's not what I notice first.

The sickening thing on his face. It's... well, his face.

It's loose, and the only thing keeping it in place is staples.

If I wasn't in so much shock, I'd probably throw up. Forget it, I'm probably going to throw up.

"Hi," Jerome smirks, sending a shiver up my spine. How the hell is this possible? "Some of you may know... I died. Uh-oh. But take it from me, death is dull. But coming back? That is something. Leave it to dying to give you a whole new perspective on life. And I would like to share that with you."

Someone is tied up behind him. They're surrounded by tankers. The thing that catches my eyes is the 'flammable' labels on them.

"Hello, officer. You look terrible. Hey you got- huh!" He pulls out a lighter from behind the man's ear.

"Tonight Gotham, in the darkness there are no rules. So, tonight Gotham, do what you want. Kill, who you want. And when morning comes, you too shall be..." He holds up a dynamite, lighting the end of it with the lighter, "... reborn."

He laughs, starting to walk away.

"Oh, and uh..." He snaps his fingers to the man in the chair, trying to remember his name.

"Dwight," the man corrects him.

"Dwight, I don't forgive you for my face."

Before leaving the room, he turns back to the camera.

"And that part about killing who you want? Just remember to ignore Samantha Williams. Please, and thank you!" He winks to the camera, "See ya' soon, doll."

He bows, then skips away.

"Samantha! You there?!" Jim shouts to me down the phone. He sounds like he's running, since he's panting.

"He's coming for me..." Is all I manage to croak out of my throat.

"Get the hell-" is the last thing I hear him say, before the explosion rakes over the city.

The electricity goes out, and I drop my phone in shock.

The comforting voice on the other end of the line isn't there anymore.

"Oh my God," I squeak, heading towards the window in my apartment, where the only source of light is the cars out in the streets.

He's alive.

And he's coming for me.

----
Coolio. *fingerguns*