66. Shock

Like, I didn't know how much people actually liked my writing. I've been getting messages and comments that really make my day though ❤️🤷‍♀️ You guys have got really weird tastes in fanfic.

----

Third Person P.O.V

The moment his body smashes against the wooden floor, Samantha finds any plea or shout daring to crawl up her throat die, along with her father. It's as if she's ran out of words, when the truth is that she has no idea what to say. Her brain sort of shuts off, as her eyes remain transfixed on the bloody heap in front of her.

What scares her the most isn't the blood, or the fact that she just witnessed a murder. No, it's the feeling of nothingness, inside her. Like she has just seen a mosquito being killed, and not her own parent.

She doesn't struggle when Jeremiah picks her up, holding her bridal style. She doesn't scream or kick him when he places her in the back of a car, sitting next to her as Ecco drives at the front. She doesn't even cry, because she feels like she has used up all her tears anyway.

Jeremiah is really confused, because he expected more of a fight, but one didn't happen.

The same two words whirl around her head, on a constant repeat, 'He's dead... He's dead...'

Of course, she absolutely loathes her father for selling her out, but it still is a massive shock that the only person who was left in her family, is now dead. Her mother, then her father. The people who raised her. They both were there one second, and gone the next.

Sam doesn't even notice that Jeremiah is out of the car, not even when he opens the door next to her. He once again scoops her up in his arms, looking down at her as he walks towards the familiar building. It's familiar, because it was the place she escaped him from.

When he places her in the living room, Ecco leaves, not wanting to witness anything that could make her feel guilty about helping Jeremiah catch the other young woman.

As soon as Samantha feels Jeremiah place her down on the couch, her senses come back.

She begins to tremble, quick panicked breaths leaving her mouth, as she starts to feel dizzy. If she were standing up, she would fall to the floor. Yes, she's usually scared when she's around Jeremiah, but this time it feels... different.

Jeremiah spots her panic, and even though he's pissed that she ran away, he moves his hand onto her shoulder, kneeling down in front of her, a hint of worry in his eyes. At his gesture, it only makes her even more terrified.

"Samantha..." he gives her a comforting look, but she can only see the image of him shooting her father.

She wants to run, as far as she can, but in the back of her mind she knows it's futile. He'll always find her.

Nonetheless, she tries to stand up, but almost tumbles due to her shaking legs. Jeremiah catches her in his arms.

"N-No, no..." she weakly protests. He isn't even holding her tight, but she still can't find the energy to pull away, even with her small fists tiredly hitting his chest. It does nothing to hurt him, in any way.

"Doll, I need you to calm down," Jeremiah says with a firm yet calm tone. The nickname remind her of Jerome, so she cries even harder, still slowly punching his chest.

'Mom's dead. Dad's dead. Jerome's dead, I killed him. They're all dead,' she reminds herself.

"Don't make me do something I'll regret. I don't want to hurt you," Jeremiah tells her, hoping to stop her from scaring herself, or passing out. It looks like she's about to.

She doesn't stop her dazed 'assault', trying to shake off his arms, when in reality he's the only thing that's keeping her standing.

Jeremiah sighs loudly, before quickly grabbing the back of her head, his hand over her hair. She glances down at the object he pulls out of his jacket's pocket.

She thrashes more in his grip, but he effortlessly turns her head to the side using his hand, and then injects her with the syringe in the other one.

Before, she was weak. After, she feels everything give way, as she topples to the floor, this time Jeremiah failing to catch her.

She attempts to crawl away, but she doesn't get a few inches before Jeremiah picks her up again, this time taking her to his room, because he knows that the bed in it is nicer, and she'll need a good rest. And he wants to keep her near him.

Before he can even place her down, she's unconscious. He's not proud of how he 'put her to sleep', but he knows that she was having an attack. He doesn't know if she's ever had one before, but he hopes it isn't a daily occurrence. He doesn't want it to escalate to a point where she might accidentally hurt herself.

Yes, he's still livid about her escape, but that doesn't mean he particularly wants to hurt her. He wasn't lying when he told her that he loved her.

It's ironic, actually. Both Jeremiah and Jerome went for the same girl, and ended up pushing her away. If Jerome hadn't killed his mother, Samantha would have still been head-over-heels for him. If Jeremiah hadn't blown up Gotham and become a murderer, the feelings she was already developing for him would have grown even more.

Jeremiah slightly smiles down at her, after wrapping a blanket around her shivering figure.

"Sleep well," he whispers, lightly kissing her on the forehead, before leaving the room, locking the door behind him.