Chapter 1

I'm trying a new style!! Hope y'all like it <3.

Lisa hated English.
It was her favorite time of day. She walked into the cold classroom, the hot sweat from her body slowly cooling her down and took a seat in the slightly warm seat from the previous student who had just sat in the chair. She looked out the window.

It was her favorite setting. She looked outside, the barren Nevada landscape rippled and waved back at her through the dusty screen of the old classroom window begging her to come outside. No, she thought. I'd rather stay inside. Nice and cool.

Lisa daydreamed when she looked at the dry landscape. She thought about jumping onto the clouds. That was her favorite daydream. Away from school, away from civilization, away from trouble. She could be free. Harsh judgment, and anything that could possibly rip her cracking walls down, would be out of place, out of reach.

Lisa cracked a smile when she imagined herself flying through the air. But she suddenly came falling back to earth when a big brown fluffy head of hair fell onto her desk and her chest moved suddenly.

Lisa looked down. Kevin, the boy who sat in front of her had his whole body laid out in a back stretch on her desk, and spread out his arms wildly. His arms, which had accidentally bumped into Lisa's cleavage, were now high in the air, getting higher and higher until the abruptly landed back at Kevin's sides.

Kevin's eyes were closed and relaxed. He let out a relaxed sigh, and Lisa hinted a faint smell of watermelon that wafted up from his breath. His eyes opened slowly, his chocolate brown eyes focused on Lisa. His gaze was captivating, if you looked too closely, one may get to attracted to him, which was how he got his way, always. Like his eyes, his smile stole the heart, his teeth pearly whites. But Lisa had grown too familiar with his face, and his daily stretches onto her desk. It annoyed her. It interrupted her daydreaming or daily task. Lisa didn't like Kevin. She hated him.

"Do you mind?", Lisa growled. She folded her hands over her chest her face growing red.

Kevin rose up from her desk. "Sorry", was all he said with a slight grin. Lisa looked out the window again.

The class period went by in a flash. Lisa looked up at the clock, counting down the exact minutes and seconds until she would be released from English.

Two minutes and 18 seconds.

"Have you ever wondered why our world is so messed up.War. Conflict. Pain. Suffering. So much can happen in one week... or one day... "

Two minutes and 10 seconds.

"We get our news from practically any outlet yes, from tv, to newspapers, from books to even Instagram and Twitter. You read it, and watch it... but do you ever think about that news outlets are selective on what information they give out. Have you ever thought that they are lying to us about everything?"

"... Sure they are a reliable source,  I mean we are supposed to trust them, why wouldn't we believe them? With people streaming , reading and paying for the next top headline why should the people making those headlines care about wether or not if it's the full truth? Or even a whole lie", the honors English teacher rambled.

"What the hell is she talking about?", Kevin murmured.

"About how the government and news outlets are lying to us. She must be on something", Kevin's friend murmured. Lisa looked out the window again. The sun was higher. The great big ball of light was at the peak of its path. It seemed to Lisa that it was only downhill from there.

"Now for partners"-

Lisa looked at her reflection. Her dark red bangs that were cut unevenly stuck out from odd places. The rest of her black hair hung in a bob near her earlobes which didn't cover her fake gauges as much as she wanted them to.
I should grow my hair out again, she thought. Maybe-

"And Lisa"-

30 seconds.

Lisa snapped back into reality. Her teacher was looking down at her paper while three other students were glancing at her, slight disgust she wouldn't know because she kept her gaze focused on the teacher.

"Ms. Cain?", Lisa asked quietly.

Ms. Cain looked at her, along with the whole class. Their curious eyes locked on Lisa like a lion preying on an antelope. What are they thinking? Oh how funny she doesn't remember what the teacher just asked her. She's too stupid for this class. She's worthless.

10 seconds.

"Yes?", Ms.Cain said.

Lisa took a deep breath, her mouth dry, the sudden change of temperature in the room. It wasn't cool anymore. She was in the Nevada desert all of a sudden. Her words on the top of her tongue, but seemed to slip back in. The eyes grew bigger.

The bell rang.

Lisa almost choked on her breath when the students happily jumped from their seats and gathered their books and binders and shoved them into their heavy backpacks and raced to reach their next class. Sweat was dripping from her forehead, and her breathing no longer had a pattern. With each student that left he classroom, the coolness in the room had seemed to return.

No one was in the classroom anymore. It was just Lisa and Ms. Cain. Ms. Cain studied her.

"You never told me your question", she said.

"You mentioned partners. Who are they?",Lisa asked anticipation was swirling around her.

Ms. Cain looked disappointed. "I just told you. You're a smart girl, you need to pay attention more. You're partnered with Chen, Kevin, and Lindsey", she said.

Lisa gulped.

"And if you weren't paying attention, your project is due next month. Along the lines of why humans go to war, why we hate etc. Be creative. You have three bright people with you, so I'm sure you'll be fine". Lisa packed up her things and left the classroom. The outside heat started to penetrate her skin. The sun had moved slightly, she had noticed.

She really hated English.