Chapter 8

I think this is going to be the last chapter. Thank you for those who have read!

"I cannot express the amount of relief I have that the situation is under control. I also cannot express how frustrated and angry I am. Explain yourself right now, unless you want to be fired and have your head blown off".

"Listen, I was in a rush. I had to meet a person down in the strip who was interested in buying one of my buildings in Dubai. And a lot of things got hectic when John had asked me to forward the password for the lab, and I"-

"You decided to do it over the phone. Great job, Craig. Thanks to you, four teenagers entered our lab, and broke our tubes and almost let out the experiment! And for gods sake Craig, this job is hectic! What did you expect?! You're here to make discoveries for our national security!"

"I apologize, I know I messed up"-

"You're lucky those kids left their fingerprints everywhere in the lab, or else we would have to search the whole damn world for those papers! You practically led them right to it!"

"I knew that Kevin was listening. I could tell. I had to cover up the best I could. I needed to have a natural conversation"

"God you're so stupid! It doesn't matter anyway! He still would have listened regardless. You should have left so he wouldn't have heard you!"

"I apologize sir, it was an honest mistake. Do you think I wanted them to find it?! This is a groundbreaking discovery, and it almost got ruined by them!"

"What tubes did they break again?",

"One and seven. That held the toxic fluid that it shot out"

"What does that do again?"

"It makes your skin extremely irritated and leaves a large rash. You'll want to keep itching and itching. Eventually it will start killing the skin cells, which results vary. What we saw in Lindsey was an extreme example, even though we think she started pulling out her own hair because she was having a mental breakdown. But, the overall conclusion is that over the past few days their body was slowly dying because of the toxins that infected their body. "

"What were the kids like?"

"The kids were smart. Ms. Cain most likely paired them up because they were smart. According to the school records, Lisa Martinez was ranked 3rd in her school for her over all gpa, Kevin Chalapian 109th, Lindsey Makaylin 24th, and Chen Li 2nd. Kevin could have ranked higher, but he loved sports and put that over his school work. He has the most absences, and tardies out of all of them.

"What were the kids like in school, besides academics?"

"What I have gathered was that Kevin was a partier, charismatic and outgoing. Like what I had predicted, most of his teachers liked him. Lindsey was alot like him, and even dated for a short time in middle school. Lindsey was living a double life. She went to the school nurse multiple times throughout the school year. In the local newspaper an anonymous person had said "Lindsey was a good person. She was very stressed out because of schoolwork, and had alot of mood swings. That was probably one of the reasons that she was led to an early death". Chen, was an overachiever and spoke to mostly other foreign exchange students at the school. I also did a background check on him and he is definitely not a Russian spy".

"Doctor records?"

"Yes, well it seems the girls seem to have the most problems. Lisa has been prescribed fluoxetine for about a year and a half and alprazolam. The last refill of the medicine has been a month ago, but when we did an autopsy on Lisa, there was nothing in her system. We assumed she had stopped taking them, but we cannot pin point when".

"And Lindsey?"

"Lindsey has been diagnosed with Manic Bipolar disorder, and has been taking an antipsychotic medicine Olanzaphine. That would explain her frequent nurse visits during school and the anonymous statement. When we did an autopsy on her, we also found no traces of medicine in her system. We don't know how long she hasn't been taking them".

"Geez, these kids and there medicine. There becoming more and more messed up. They should just take their meds so they don't end up so messed up".

"I'm sure they stopped for a reason".

"Kevin?"

"Last time he went to the hospital was to treat his ACL. That was two years ago".

"Chen?".

"None in America. All from when he was in Beijing, and I have had them translated and there were no problems besides flus and coughs".

"Has Chen been sent back to China?"

"Yes, he has. He had also been relocated. We sent a few people over there to see if there is any unusual activity from him. So far, everything is normal. He seemed confused".

"So they ended up bullying the exchange student? That's pretty harsh"

"Apparently so. That's what Chen said, just because he didn't know English. I thought millennial's we're becoming more understanding of other nationalities".

"It can happen to anyone".

"Is that all you need from me?"

"Yes, I guess so. I have to say, I am a very hardcore guy, but this whole situation is very sad. I have to leave in a few minutes to get ready to attend the funeral. All of the families will be there. You should be happy we were able to save Chen.

"We're we? The only reason he's alive is a miracle. We almost saved Lisa but her organs were starting to fail. She would have died anyway. Kevin's back was destroyed, he would have been a quadriplegic. But he would have opened his mouth. Lindsey's brain had been rotting ever since the first contact with the toxin, so she was pronounced brain dead when we arrived at her house. I'm surprised that Chen was the only healthy one. Watching Kevin's interactions was hard, because he ran a lot. I got a good workout in, that's all I can say".

"Did he see you?"

"He might have. It's too late to ask now".

"I'm going to head off. Take care of the paperwork, and don't let this happen again. Do you hear me? This was too close".

"You can count on me, sir".

"You forgot to mention Lisa Martinez. What she was like in school".

"Oh yes... She didn't really do much. She was smart and her peers knew her as the smart girl. She often daydreamed in class. She daydreamed alot actually. People recalled her looking out of the same window everyday at the same time. She hardly paid attention in any of her classes".

"Hmmm... See you tomorrow Craig".

"See you".

"I wonder what she saw".

"I'm sorry?"

"The girl, Lisa. I wonder what she saw looking out of the window every single day".

"I wish I knew, I really wish I knew".