~5~

Gellert's face formed the scowl of a man who had not yet achieved greatness.

His visions had been compromised, as the only memories he had recently conceived were of his former friend.

Friend. Companion. Lover. It was all the same to him. Good memories came at a price, as his tale would be told slightly differently to his adversary.

"Your heart is perspiring. You're terrified of me." He spoke aloud.

He stared at the door, expecting it to open. The auditorium was vast, and he knew that only those he wished to find him, would be able to.

"My visions cannot see past the door, Albus. But it is merely your inclined muttering that has you in earshot."

The noise he thought he'd heard came to a deadpan silence. Gulping in the sudden awkwardness of how alone he was, Gellert shuddered. Hearing voices was not a good sign.

The isolation after escaping he'd thought would bring him a joyous feeling, but even with the deaths of those ridiculous wizards supposed to be 'guarding' him, had not made him feel any better.

Breathing out, and flicking back his elegant flowing coat, he strutted over to the door.

Before he'd even got there, he knew it was a waste of time. The noise was gone, his memories were back, and all that was on his mind was a clear, foreboding image of Albus.

"I'm crazy."

He punched the wall.

The sharp pain was nothing that couldn't be fixed. It had felt good to use physical force for a change. Even if it was on himself. A punishment he'd allowed for his pathetic infatuations.

His blooded knuckles were quickly vanquished at the flick of his fingers. The covered marks not even scars, as they healed instantly.

Albus would've been livid, he thought. This made him smile.

For as much as he missed his dear friend, the pain of his own suffering was a gateway into hurting Albus, as the man had never truly cared about himself. A downfall in which Gellert had tried to fix in their adolescence.

Now though, it would seem that his pain would help him win. For Albus was not brave enough to face him.

Not a coward. Never a coward, but scared of facing the man he had once loved...still loves.

Clenching his pale hand, Grindelwald sighed.

Even with the prospects of almost certain victory, he would've liked to have faced Albus. As ally or opponent, Gellert had wished to see his friend again.

He had walked away from the door, now. Cursing himself for getting so sentimental.

Placing his good hand into his pocket, he drew out a very old, scruffy bit of paper. Rolling his eyes before reading the excerpt.

It had been years since Albus had sent that to him. All the while thinking he probably hadn't read it. Meanwhile, he himself had actually often read it without meaning to.

Gellert had never felt it was necessary to return a letter because he wasn't one for writing the sentimentalities.

He thought it was kind of pathetic.

But the words that Albus wrote. They were his own. They weren't in haste or excessively meaningful. They were his own words. The loyalty of his friend was all he could read on the page. And this upset him.

He flicked his fingers underneath. A small flame burst up, about to incinerate the pages...

But then he stopped.

"...if you had not been expelled, we would never have met."

In those last words. Words he did not directly speak, but the last words that were directed at Gellert, he saw something.

He saw a forgiveness.

In both himself and Albus. Accompanied by a pain in which he had not wanted to feel. It was guilt.

He needed to write back. Wanted to write back. A long, long overdue letter that was leading to a visit. A visit to see his long-lost friend.

"Oh Albus, you've done it again. You've persuaded me."

Smiling for the first time, he pulled out another piece of parchment, and began to write...

Magic-free...

His letter to Albus:

For what has been noted as longer than I have wanted, we have been separated from our differing opinions towards the deathly...

He tried again.

Albus,
For what has been noted as an eternity of a lifetime, our paths have not yet crossed since our time together.

THAT precious time is something I have never forgotten and have always wanted to go back to.

My dearest friend, our quarrels have weighed on me recently, as I'm sure you have been convulsing over my endeavours over the past few years. I have never once thought I could finish my quest for power without you. As this was our plan as a pair to begin with.

I need you, Albus. More than I think you believe it to be. I will be in contact, as I am widely aware this letter is more than I deserve.

Far too long overdue but you'll hear from me soon. Elsewhere.

For now, you'll have to wait some more, but my hope is you have not given up on our quest. It's now or never.

I lo... (He crossed this out).

Until next time, my dear Albus.

Gellert.

~~~
Hmm...interesting? Does Gellert Grindelwald have a soft spot? More memories to come. Gonna revisit the past some more...1898!!!!