~18~

The familiarity of the red-haired man was both warming and unsettling.

Concrete to his personal believes, Albus was confused at first by the nature and obscurity of Newt's disguise.

"What's with the dumb outfit?" he said.

Albus was still up against the wall, hidden from the view of the rally of participants that had gathered for Gellert.

Newt was fully aware of his surroundings. Purposely swaying his view every so often to look around the corner, to see if anyone was coming their way.

"Look, I don't have much time. About a month ago when you asked me to come here, I wasn't sure whether you were asking me to look for Credence or Grindelwald. I figured, when I got here, it was just to keep me safe..."

"This is where you make a snide comment, like, 'you bloody smart-ass', or something?" Albus slurred. His charisma differing from this new arrogance he'd acquired.

"Where's this anomalous attitude coming from? I get the sarcasm but Dumbledore...since your disappearance, you've changed. And I'm not sure if it's a good thing."

"What do you mean disappearance?" Dumbledore said.

He was tired and confused. Mostly his large, unorthodox brain trying to understand why the world had thought he'd gone missing.

Newt shook his head. "Forget it! Never mind. What I came here to say was that I found him. I found Credence. He's hiding out in the circus...well, he was. Turns out letting loose a Zouwu in the middle of Paris is never a good idea..."

"Newt!" Said Albus. "You're going off topic."

Newt scratched the back of his head, chuckling to himself. His shyness was apparent, but it made his individual persona, that Albus was glad to come face-to-face with again.

"Sorry, yeah, well, turns out he's here but..."

"But what?"

Albus could tell that Newt was holding his breath. Almost trying to hold back the truth but also tell him at the same time. It was a difficult look to analyse.

Newt sighed. "I know you're with him. With Grindelwald, and I have my own opinions, but that doesn't matter, but I have to tell you something else. And I'm afraid you're not going to like it."

Albus had crossed his arms over his chest. Waiting for the bad news like an insolent child outside the headmasters office at school. He gave Newt the wary stare, opting him to continue.

This made him nervous.

"I...er, he...he's already, he knows where Credence is!"

Albus frowned. "What do you mean?"

Newt had moved back a step, suddenly cautious of the space between them.

"Grindelwald has already contacted him. He has connections with the ministry. Men who have joined his cause as you have, and helped him with the recruitment and search for the boy that will change everything.
Dumbledore... I am not certain that you have joined with him for the fantasy of a better world as the others have. This is personal, isn't it?"

Albus let go of a breath. He was suddenly very sad and very aware that his actions had been notably spontaneous and not thought through to any extent.

"Love blinds the strongest of us." He said.

Newt put his hand upon Dumbledore's shoulder. Grasping onto his friend for comfort. Albus lowered his head, breathing in the realisation that Grindelwald was his poison.