Chapter 10 - Guardian's Rage

I'M FINALLY FREE FROM THIS FANFIC YAAAAAAAA-ahem.

It's been a long ride, guys. Thanks for sticking around with this fic, and if you liked this, be sure to stay tuned for more works from yours truly. I'm working on another SW fanfiction to fill the void that The Defense Destroyers is gonna leave behind. The new fic is called "Shine of the Archangel." Check it out when you can; I think the prologue will be released within, I dunno, a month or so!

Anyway, this fanfiction has taken me so long to write, and I'd really appreciate it if you could vote and comment on chapters you like! Thank you all!

---

Chapter 10

Guardian's Rage

When the next day rolled around, the last thing Olivia expected was for the Ruins to be so eerily silent again. The dread that sunk to the bottom of her stomach was something so powerful and nauseating that she would never forget it for as long as she lived.

It was early in the morning, perhaps 6 A.M. It was hard to tell the time in the Vrofagus Ruins; the only light source being anything that the five of them brought with them, and the flames on the torches that were never extinguished. But Olivia knew that something was wrong, from the moment she was awake.

She stood up and walked out of her tent, looking around the camp. Randy was probably just now waking up, and Bulldozer was still asleep. Copper she wasn't so sure about. Olivia never really managed to get a feel of his sleep schedule. Her back was still sore from where her kagune had been ripping themselves out on a daily basis.

Kahli was the only one who was out of her tent besides Olivia. The two of them locked eyes with each other. Even with a face made out of what was essentially clay, Olivia could see the scrunching of her thin eyebrows and her brooding eyes darting around.

I'm not the only one who thinks there's something wrong here, am I? Kahli asked.

"No." Olivia looked around. Everything still looked the same, so why did it feel so off...? "It feels so quiet now."

Olivia's voice was the only sound that pierced through the thick air; the tension like wading through molasses. Kahli's ears pricked slightly, trying to listen for anyone else. Nothing. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go forward and see what was going on – but what if the Dark Magicians had returned or something worse?

It was unlikely; having been 5 years since the Dimensional Rifts appeared, but Olivia didn't want to risk it. Besides, this was supposed to be the last dungeon run that was to take place before they were to get to Guardian Tagaros. All five of them were going to fight for that. But what if she were to just go forward a little, just enough to see what was wrong, and then come back...?

I can take care of myself, Olivia thought to herself. I have kagune now.

Her kind of kagune was the so-called "ukaku" kagune. According to Randy, it was good for fast, long-distance attacks, but lacked endurance. She had been training with it every day, at least three hours per training session, for the past few days now. It took a little effort to open her kagune, but Olivia liked to believe she was getting the hang of it.

"Let's investigate." Olivia said to Kahli. "It would be best, so that we could warn the others if there is a threat."

I'll come with you. Kahli responded. With that, the two of them set off into the darkness.

---

"Have either of ya seen Olivia anywhere?" Bulldozer asked.

"Nope." Randy shook his head, not even looking up from the mange he was reading now; Volume 5 of Tokyo Ghoul.