Chapter 8

I was walking out of my lecture. I was hugging my books to my chest, keeping my head down, and hoping I wouldn't be noticed. Although I already knew I was invisible, I still tried my best to blend in with the crowd.

     But to my surprise, I heard Carson say, "Nivenah."

     I stopped walking and moved to the side of the hall, growing surprised when I saw Carson walking towards me. He wore a look of annoyance and his body was rigid, which left me gulping. I wondered if I did something wrong.

     "Hi," I said, surprised.

     "Are you looking for a job?" Carson asked.

     I blinked. "No, not really. I mean I wouldn't mind having a job, but I'm not actively looking for one.

     "Do you want a job?"

     I stared at Carson for a moment, wondering where he was going with this. This was the first time we were speaking alone. Usually Serena was around somewhere nearby, but for once it was just Carson and I.

     "Do you?" Carson pushed on, scowling.

     "Sure."

     "Well, we're looking for a new waitress at Vandos and I was wondering if you'd be interested."

      My eyes widened and I was left speechless for a moment. I never thought Carson would offer me a job, but there was no way I'd accept a job as a waitress. I was never a fan of speaking to strangers and being a waitress meant that would happen often.

     "Um... Sorry, but I don't think being a waitress is something I'd be interested in," I said. "Thank you for the offer though."

     "The pay is really good," Carson said, leaning towards me. "Trust me, you wouldn't want to miss out on it."

      Carson's mouth was soon near my ear and he whispered what he would be willing to pay me. My jaw dropped at his words and I moved back, stunned.

     "Really?" I said. "That much just to be a waitress?"

     "Yup," Carson said. "So, are you still not interested?"

     "No," I said, causing Carson break out into a grin. "I'm totally interested now."

      Carson chuckled and I found myself smiling as well. Although I wasn't crazy about being a waitress, there was no way I'd turn down an offer to make as much as Carson was willing to pay. Especially as someone with student debt, the money was needed.

*****

      I was walking back to the kitchen and my hands curled into fists. After serving a bunch of tables, I felt overwhelmed. Vandos was busy and that meant I had to run around the restaurant and make sure everyone was happy. A part of me was beginning to regret accepting the job, but the pay left me pushing on.

      Once I entered the kitchen, I saw Carson there by the sink. He was washing a couple of dishes, looking deep in thought, and I stared at him for a moment. For once he looked oddly at peace and I wondered about him.

     "Hey," I said softly. "Do you need help?"

      Carson jumped and I let out a small laugh. He shot me a look to tell me to shut up and I shook my head. Walking over to him, I grabbed a dish.

     "You don't have to," Carson said. "It's your break, isn't it?"

     "Yeah, but it's okay," I said, shrugging. "There's a lot of dishes."