𝐨𝐧𝐞༄

It was a bright summer day in Kattegat, leaves shook lightly as a breeze ran by

It was a bright summer day in Kattegat, leaves shook lightly as a breeze ran by. The sounds of birds singing was heard by all those who listened carefully. That included Runa, she had been cleaning up her farm since the break of dawn. She often enjoyed working in the morning before the sun felt dreaded. Today was one of those days where the smell of the moist soil after the evening showers was intoxicating along with the smell of the wildflowers that grew on the side of her home.

The hard working girl stood up and brushed the soil off of her clothes then proceeded to wipe the sweat off her forehead. With a smile of content she picked up the shovel and strolled back toward her home where her mother, Ingrid, was waiting for her. Ingrid had always made her daughter lunch since what felt like the dawn of time for her, she loved having something to do now that she was growing sick of the farm. But she wouldn't tell Runa that, instead she would let her daughter farm until she lost interest in the profession. Although there was now sign of her losing that interest as she felt that agricultural work was a connection to her late father.
"Working hard today?" Her mother asked as she entered the small home. The smell of the stew made her mouth water as she neared the kitchen.
"As always." She smiled slightly while she took a seat on the low wooden stool. Her mother smiled and moved the medium pot off the fire and moved it on to the choppy table.
"It smells really good mom." Runa licked her lips at the sight.
"It does?" She replied moving to bowls onto the tabe, "I thought I'd try adding different spices I wasn't too sure what would turn out."
Runa took her bowl and dipped it into the pot letting the meat and sauce flood the bowl. She then proceeded to wait a couple seconds for it to cool off.
"So mom did you need anything from the town?" She moved a braid away from her food, "I was thinking after we could both go and maybe walk the docks?"
Her mother nodded slightly and grinned as she took some of the food.
"Sounds lovely dear," she took a sip from the bowl, "I would just have to change."
Runa chuckled slightly, "me as well."
The mother daughter duo continued to eat their lunch and conversed various topics including the farming season, old stories- especially about her father, and finally a new topic came up.
"Honey, when do you think you'd get married?" When the question came up Runa spät out her water and started coughing.
"Relax Runa," her mom laughed, "I wouldn't set you up with a mad man. We would consult the Seer first of course."
Runa regained her breath seconds after and moved her hair from her face again.
"How would the Seer know anything of that?"
Her mom looked at her in all seriousness and sighed.
"Well Runa," She fiddled with her hands, "you're seventeen and there's plenty of good men in Kattegat. And I know you want to be independent I'm just worried for the farms sake of course. We could perhaps find a man who would be more of a friend than a husband."
Runa rolled her eyes and continued to eat. But then it dawned on her that her mother was right, if she was going to take over the farm she would need help. She was not going to admit it but she really wanted children.
"I guess you're right mother, we can go the Seer later if you want."
Her mom smiled with glee in her eyes.

The two women walked down the rocky path towards the center if their village. Kattegat was always blooming with life as it was a very busy trade center. Men carrying all sorts of things like fish, weapons, bazaar art, and just about anything was seen as women were selling their goods and services on the sides of the roads.
Runa's eyes wandered around the busy marketplace in search of a fisher, she had been craving fish for the past two weeks. Unfortunately before she could find one her mother took her arm cheerily and directed her to the Seer. Ingrid's smile could not go unnoticed as her mind ran with thoughts about who her daughter would marry in the future and when.
"Runa, you visit the Seer while I go to Kanute's." She told her daughter once they arrive outside the canopy.
"Mother," Runa laughed, "I know how this whole thing works, I've been here before."
Her mother put her hand on her shoulders and smiled then, Runa swore she saw, she slipped away towards Kanute's. Shaking her head she slowly walked inside the Seer's grounds.
"Hello?" She hesitated before stepping in all the way.
"Good day miss Runa," the raspy voice of the seer echoed past her ears, "To what do I owe the pleasure?"
Runa fully walked in and took a seat before the respected person. She slightly chuckled before answering.
"It seems that both my mother and I want to know what kind of person I'll be married to." Her voice wasn't shaky or hesitant when talking about a hefty subject as marriage, she actually seemed quite more curious than she'd like to admit.
"Ah very well, your prince will be cunning but honest, hungry yet starved. He holds high status here in Kattegat," he coughed then continued, "but not as high as his brothers."
Runa quirked her brow as she pondered the information given.
"But that is all I can tell you," He coughed again, "Run along to your mother and have a good night."
Runa nodded she got up and left. The cool air kissed her face upon contact as loose strands of her hair blew behind her. She noticed her mother and Kanute having a deep conversation in his post. She began walking towards them when the unexpected happened.
Her mother kissed Kanute.
Her jaw dropped at the sight as she stopped in her tracks. Since when? She thought as she pulled the loose strands of blonde hair behind her ear. She shook her head, she wasn't mad- she was shocked. But deep down she was happy for her mother.
When her father, Erik, died she couldn't bear to see her mom in a depressed state. Erik had told Ingrid that when goes she could move on as he knew how hard this was going to be for her. Of course, her mother was thrown back with the idea, but in her heart, she knew she was going to eventually move on.
Her mom then left his place and walked over towards her daughter who had turned away to avoid suspicions that she saw.
"How did it go hun?" She inquired as she wrapped an arm around her daughter and began walking.
"I'm confused, to say the least." She replied.
"I was too darling."
And then the two walked back home with the sun setting in front of them.

———
A/N photo credit @ watermark.
First chapter :)
I hope you enjoyed!