𝐭𝐰𝐨༄

Brushing her hands through her hair untangling the blonde locks, Runa put her hair up in a braid

Brushing her hands through her hair untangling the blonde locks, Runa put her hair up in a braid. The morning sun shone through the cracks in the front door. Her mother was still sleeping as usual as she headed out to the field. Her thoughts were consumed by what the Seer told her. She couldn't picture herself with a man who was of high status or famous. She always thought she would find a man who would be a farmer or fisher. In a way the idea was exciting to her, perhaps she would do something extravagant to get this man's attention. Or maybe she would catch his eye while in the center of Kattegat.
The possibilities were endless.
Runa strolled to the very edge of her family's land where the grass kissed the trees of the forest. She never really worked so far out but today the sun was calling for her to be out there. Pale wildflowers caught her eye distracting her from her usual farming duties. Reaching her hand to the petal, she heard echoes in the Forrest. Quirking a brow, she moved towards the trees. No one owned the land beyond the tree line in front of her, although she was aware people went there for some personal time...
The echoes weren't of a male and female doing it, no, it sounded like two males laughing at each other.
"Did you see that?!" One clearly laughed at another. The thought of people having a good time always made Runa happy so she smiled.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to hit you with the branch!" The next voice chuckled.
The voices came nearer causing Runa to jump back to what she was working on previously. Pushing a Strand of her hair behind her ear the young men left the forest. They didn't notice her as she was huddled over picking the same flowers she noticed. Her dress's cloth was also the same Color as the pale green field so she blended in.
When the young men were far enough to not see her if she were to stand up-she did. She got a good enough look at both the men's backs to know they were close to her age. They didn't seem to be farmers or fisher but most likely warriors. She shrugged and went back towards the field to actually work.

"I don't understand Hvitserk," Asluag spoke as she took a sip of her drink, "there's plenty of women in Kattegat other than a slave. As for you Ubbe..."
The queen of Kattegat started to scold Ubbe for not having a wife and at least one child at his age. By the time she started talking Hvitserk remained quiet and tuned everyone out. All he cared about at this moment was the food and drink in front of him. This conversation topic was unfortunately brought up by the crippled son of Ragnar Lothbrok. He had- more like attempted- to have an intimate moment with a slave the night prior that resulted almost in her death. Hvitserk has actually grown fond of the slave girl as did his two other brothers; Ubbe and Sigurd.
"Isn't that right Hvitserk?" Ivar's call of his name brought him back to reality. He cleared his throat and looked up at his younger brother.
"I'm sorry Ivar I wasn't listening."
The sons all started laughing at Hvitserk as Ivar smirked at him.
"I think he wouldn't even pay attention to a girl if he was near food. That is why he has no wife or a lover." Sigurd chuckled as he reaches his drink at Hvitserk.
The taunted boy grumbled as he continued to eat. This torment has gotten on his nerves once again by the people he loved. The others started a new conversation leaving out the second youngest of the boys. He finished eating and got up with no one noticing.
The sky was still light out as the sun still wanted to shine. The boy decided he would go back to the forest he was at earlier that morning. He usually walked there when his family acted like an anchor on his shoulders. With just his sword he hiked. This time he went a different way there that caused him to go past some of Kattegat's farms. He was told as a younger boy that his father had started out as a farmer and always admired him for it. In a way, he longed for simplicity.

With dust being kicked by his worn boots, he finally made it to his spot. The sound of birds has chirped down and was replaced by crickets. He was sat on a rock that was surrounded by trees. His thoughts ran through his mind faster than a single strike of Thor's lightning. So fast it tired him out and he decided to sleep.

"Runa Dear?" Her mother called for her, "I going to go bring the sheep towards the shelter it looks like it might rain tonight."
Runa got up from where she was sitting and walked towards the door.
"Mother no I'll get them, go sit by the fire."
Her mother smiled gently and sat back down as her daughter put on her boots and a cloak then she left. The sheep usually were sat near the forest line she was earlier that day. She didn't really want to bring them in but it was her mother's wish and she didn't want her to get caught in the rain if it did happen.
She hummed a song as she marched towards the herd. Conveniently it did start raining. Runa huffed as she gathers the sheep as the drops were getting bigger and rain started pelting her harder.
"My gods sheep!" She yelled out in frustration, "Move back to the house!"
The sheep scurried in a frenzy obviously not knowing what she said to them. She looked up from the herd to see a man coming towards her, dripping with water.  Her heart started beating as she didn't know what to do.
"Excuse me!" He yelled her way.
She didn't know how to respond and said nothing back, she needed to get the sheep back.
"Excuse me!" He came closer as he whipped his face.  "Do need help?!"
She nodded without hesitation causing him to run to the side of the herd gesturing them to run a direction.
"You have to scare them the direction you want them to go!" He shouted. She nodded and decided to do the same. The sopping wet pair started making gestures controlling the sheep. What was about twenty minutes felt like it went faster as they finally reached the fence by the Runa's home. When the last sheep filed in the gate both Runa and the man cheered. Despite freezing and dripping water the two high fived and laughed.
"Thank you for your help." She spoke to the man.  He chuckled.
"It was nothing." He shrugged and went to turn away. The rain still hit the earth harshly.
"Wait!" She said, he stopped and turned around, "where are you going?"
He point the direction and replied, "Center of Kattegat!"
"You're insane!" She called back, "Come inside it's raining harshly!"
He shook his head, "I really shouldn't!"
She walked towards him from porch entering the rain.  He didn't move, no instead he watched her every move. His arms at his sides he watched as she smiled and took his hand and dragged him back to the house and inside the door. He was relieved that he didn't have to walk all the way back but he didn't feel right staying in someone else's home.
"You can stay the night," Runa spoke taking her wet call cloak off.
"I don't even know your name." He chuckled as he did too take his cloak off.
"My name is Runa." She introduced.
"You didn't even know my name." He replied.
"Well then do share." She chuckled taking her second boot off.
"Hvitserk."
She nodded and took his cloak from his hand and walked towards the fire.
"That name sounds familiar." Runa thought out loud, she hadn't encountered many people with that name but she had heard it once or twice before in stories.
He sighed, "I am one of the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok."
The famous name caused Runa to be quiet as she almost dropped his cloak in disbelief. Was this the man the Seer told her about?
"Wait..." she paused and clipped the cloak, "you're serious?"
He nodded.
"Whoa." She replied, "that's pretty interesting."
He chuckled and shrugged.
"Not really he left a long time ago, I don't even think he's alive."
She nodded not really knowing how to exactly reply, "I'm sorry to hear that."
"No I'm sorry for bringing it up it's not a very good topic."
She pursed her lips while grabbing some of the blankets from the side of the room.
"You can sleep in here, if it's raining tomorrow you still stay but that's up to you."
She laid out the blankets where her mother was sitting before she went to sleep. He noticed how the fire's lights illuminated her face causing her to look even more beautiful than he initially thought.  He shook his head at the thought and walked towards her.
"Thank you, again, really." He spoke sincerely.
"No, thank you, you helped me with the sheep, you didn't have to." She dismissed him as she turned around almost bumping into him. He was so close. She was so close. The two stood there for a second staring at each other.  Maybe it was the sound of the rain or perhaps they were freezing, they both felt warm just being in each other's presence. They felt like they were frozen there.
"who is this young man?" Ingrid spoke causing the two to back away from each other simultaneously. Hvitserk rubbed the back of his neck as Runa looked down unsure of what might have happened if her mother didn't wake up.
"He-he helped me bring the sheep in, then it poured.." Runa explained to her mother.
Ingrid smiled slightly as it turned into a smirk.
"Well, don't have too much fun." She winked and turned around.
Hvitserk laughed at the girl's mother and looked at Runa to see she was a bright shade of red.  She cleared her throat and walked away towards the entrance to her quarters then turned around. Within the span of her walking He had taken his soaking shirt off and hung it on the ledge along with the cloaks.
"Good Night hvitserk." She spoke trying not the be phased by what she saw.
"Goodnight," he winked, and she closed the door.
Taking off her attire she mentally slapped herself because of the event that had just taken place. She shook her head and got into her sleep ware. After she undid her wet braid she blew out the candle and fell fast asleep.