fourteen

14 :  secrets

They didn't believe me, but they didn't want to pressure me into telling them the truth. They didn't ask again, but I knew they talked about it all the time. There would be moments when I'd walk into a room and both of them would go silent, or begin talking about the most random things.

I was no fool — I knew they were suspicious of me, but they were too afraid to ask the truth. Too afraid of the truth.

Within two more weeks, we were nearing the start of the school year, and my room was finally finished.

When I went in for the first time since Mum and Dad had gotten the furniture inside (using magic), I was so beyond excited.

I'd spent the last couple of nights sleeping in Sirius' bed, just because my back was starting to hurt from the sofa in the attic. We spent a lot of time just laying together, a bit of chatting, and a bit of kissing. But we stayed true to our promise.

My room was fantastic, much better than I had ever imagined it could be. The floor was entirely the nearly black wood, with a grey rug under the bed, which was now a little closer to the closet than before. The bed was magnificent, a queen sized canopy bed with tall, thin black wooden posts, and beams. Hanging from the beams, and tied to the poles to stay open, was three pairs of black curtains. There was another set behind the low headboard that were closed. There wasn't a foot-board, so at the end of the bed was a backless black padded bench with silver legs. The wall behind the bed was painted a dark misty grey, with a large, hand painted branch that came from high on the opposite side of the room, spanning across and ending just before the bed. There were small red flowers on the branches. We had asked Madison, the artist, to purposely make the branch look like veins. The entire scene looked amazing.

Under the branch, was an extremely long dresser, which had a wardrobe of it's own attached on the right side. Biscuit's tank, which had been upgraded again, sat on the lower part of the dresser. Between the bed and the dresser was a nightstand that matched the new desk and dresser. It was a dark grey color, with a glass knob on the small drawer. In the shelf space was a few magazines. My desk was now on the left side of the room, across from the bed. My new desk was a little longer than the old one, with a small shelving unit on one side for my school books. There was a tall mirror that was centered with the desk, attached to the back.

The closet was obviously in the same place, with enough room between the doors and the bed for two people to stand side-by-side, perpendicular to the door. There was a white nightstand beside the bed, next to the closet, that was technically just a small white table frame with a piece of glass on top.

Now, since I had extra room, not needing a separate wardrobe, I had a cute bookcase that was designed to be set in the corner. It was shaped as a triangle, and was just the right size. I could lay standard sized books flat, one on top of another, with spine parallel with either wall, the top and bottom of the books parallel to the other wall. My larger books sat on the bottom shelf of the square black table - which had a padded top - that was parallel to the flat front of the bookcase. On either side of the table, against both walls, was a black leather chair. The chairs were close enough to the table for the table to be used as an ottoman. Across the table from the bookcase was a black bean bag chair. The hat rack with my favorite bathrobes was on the right side of the bathroom door, so it was on my left when I came out.

My bedding was light grey, with a few red flowers with black stems. The pillows that I would sleep with where the same grey, while the decorative pillows were red and black.

There was very little red in the room, so every piece of red was stark against the general grey-ness of the room. I avoided using a lot of white, as I couldn't stand to look at that specific color combination without feeling upset, but I didn't want to do black everything.