forty-one

41 ;  difficult

My blood transfusion had gone well, and I had rushed home after.

The only thing on my mind was what Regulus had said. The mole was close to me, enough to know personal details. Merlin only knew how long the mole had been there.

I felt sick to my stomach as I drove my father's flying car home. I felt like my world had been rattled, tilted on it's axis and then tossed around.

I had no idea how to process it.

So, the entire time I was sitting in my house, alone, I was terrified. Irrationally, but still. I knew that Sirius Black was the only person who could tell a Death Eater where the cottage was, and the Death Eater then be able to see it. I knew he would never.

But... the same part of me that was suspicious of Remus, was suspicious of even James, so it was justified that I was worried. If I could think my best friend of more than seven years could do that... what made my think my brother couldn't?

It was understandable.

Not actually, but still. I was.

Esme had woken up from a nap when we got home, immediately going to sit on the couch and watch Biscuit. He was awake, slithering around and simply being a big snake. He needed fed, and let out, but I didn't feel comfortable doing the latter with Esme in the living room. I'd wait until it was her bedtime.

I was restless. The idea that my best friend was a mole? I was incredulous.

After a few minutes of sitting on the edge of the couch, worry eating at me, I leaned back. I took a few deep breaths and closed my eyes.

I woke up to Sirius poking my side.

Esme was curled up next to me, her head against my side. Her tiny little nose was pressed against my arm. She had crawled under my arm, using my arm to block the light.

"What time is it?" I said as I rubbed my eyes with my free hand.

"Nearly 3," Sirius said quietly. "How long has she been asleep?"

"Not long. We got home around 1, so maybe an hour."

"Do we wake her?"

"We definitely wake her - otherwise she'll wake up at midnight and cause havoc."

"You wake her."

"What? No, you wake her."

"She's asleep against you."

"You're her dad."

"You're her mum."

I huffed, "You're supposed to be the bad guy."

Sirius snickered as he moved into the kitchen. I gently removed my arm from Esme's clutches. She began to stir nearly immediately, and when I gently lifted her to my chest she started to grumble.

"No!"

I laughed as I sat her on my lap. I made eye contact with her as she sleepily pouted at me.

"Sirius, your turn!" I called as I caught a wiff. I heard him groan loudly, and Esme giggled.

"But-"

"Nope."

"Bab-"

"No."

Sirius grumbled as he leaned over the side of the couch. He scooped Esme up under her arms, kissing her forehead before he lovingly called me a mutt.