You can be normal again

"Crime? What do you mean?" Exclaimed Gabe, staring at her, mouth slightly agape.

"Just answer the question Mr Walters. Have you ever used your powers for crime?" She questioned, glaring hard into his eyes.

"No! Why would I do that? What makes you think I would do something like that?" Gabe asked, a confused look on his face.

"We have significant evidence to link you to several recent robberies in this area. Over the last month, there have been five items of considerable value stolen from museums and art galleries around this area. Two paintings, one rare jewel and one ancient vase. Together they have a total net worth of over $150 million. All of the places they are kept have incredibly high security, but in all cases there was no sign of a break in. It's as if someone just waltzed in and took them." She told him, shaking her head in disbelief.

"And...and what does this have to do with me? I have loads of money! Why would I need to steal?" Gabe stuttered.

"We believe that the only way that someone would be able to take these things is if they had some kind of special abilities. And for your information, you do not have 'loads of money.' In fact, as of one month ago your family was declared officially bankrupt." There was something slightly vindictive about the way that she said that, even though there was still no emotion in her voice. It was as if she enjoyed being proved right, regardless of the people that were hurt along the way.

"What do you mean bankrupt? How could that happen?"

"Your father is away a lot, is he not?"

"Yes...he goes on business trips a lot. He works for a large company." Gabe replied.

"Well, when he was on these 'business trips' he managed to rack up a debt of millions of dollars through illegal gambling. In fact, he owes a lot of money to some very shady people. We think that gives you plenty of motive for theft, correct?" Gabe just continued to stare at her, unable to process the information he was being given.

"You are a straight A student. You clearly have the mental capacity to devise a plan to get into these locations. You have the speed of the quarterback; you can get in and out quickly. And, most importantly, you have your 'special abilities'. We have nobody else on record with abilities like yours in this area, and nobody from another area has come near here in the last month."

"So you think...you think I did it?" Stuttered Gabe.

"Well, you and Mr Matthews. There is significant evidence to point to your guilt. Which means that certain measures will have to be taken to prevent this from happening again."

"And what are these...measures?" Quent whispered, "You're not going to kill us, right?"

"No. We couldn't do that, even the government has it's limits. But we can...reverse the effects of your powers." She told him, some of the impassiveness in her voice dropping away, and continuing sounding almost sympathetic. Almost, but not quite.

" Having these powers... It will only cause you trouble in the long run. You can never tell anyone about them, and it is likely that you won't ever meet anyone like you. People with these abilities are rare, un organised and scattered across the globe. It's better this way." She finished, folding her hands together on her lap.

"So what you're saying, is you're going to...to TAKE OUR POWERS AWAY? Is that even possible?"

"Oh, I assure you it is entirely possible and perfectly safe. All we have to do is break the connection between you. Your powers only work because of the connection you have. Break that, and your powers will be useless."