Chapter Seven - Night Talk

"Here you go." I hand Benjamin the mug of hot chocolate then take a seat on the sofa opposite of him with my own mug secured in my hand.

Benjamin takes a sip and makes a sound of approval. "Just like old times." He is silent for a few minutes before he says. "It reminds me of you."

I look at him questioningly. "The pendant." He clarifies. I take a sip of the hot chocolate to hide the blush that is creeping onto my cheeks. "Do you think that just because you left that I'll forget about you?" He asks me. "Like nothing happened?" I stare at him as he continues. "What we had was real, Rosa, and you don't forget something like that quite easily."

"It was real." I agree.

"Damn right it was." He says firmly. "Maybe it was easy for you to leave everything behind and disappear, but it wasn't easy for me." He tells me.

I place my mug on the table and sit up straight. "It wasn't easy for me either." I tell him honestly. It was the hardest decision I had to take, but I don't regret it.

"Then why did you leave, Rosa?" He places his mug down on the table as well and scoots forward so that he's sitting so close to the edge of the chair. "Tell me why. Tell me why you threw everything away."

I shake my head. "I can't, Ben." My voice is above a whisper.

"All I hear from you is how you can't say anything, but I need answers, Rosa. I need some explanations. I know I said I'll give you time, but by God I can't wait!"

I feel so lost right at this moment. I don't know what to do. On one hand I want to tell Benjamin and get it all off my chest. On the other hand, I'm scared that he'll look at me differently if he knows. I know that I won't be able to handle it if he looks at me differently.

"I can't give them to you, Ben. I can't. At least not right now."

"Then when, Rosa?' he asks as he stands up. "Tell me when. God knows I'll wait. I'll wait until I get my answers. I'll wait until you're ready. Just give me something. Anything." He feels so broken as he stares at me waiting for an answer.

I stand up and walk to him. My feet stand still when I am face to face with him. Barely an inch separating us. "I'll tell you when I'm ready. I promise." My voice is low.

Benjamin doesn't look convinced, but he doesn't say anything. He just sighs and turn his back to me.

I look down at the floor as I whisper. "Please don't hate me."

Benjamin instantly whips around and pulls me in a hug. He squeezes me tight as if relishing in this moment. I hear his intake of breath and he squeezes me even tighter, if that is possible.

"I could never hate you, Rosa. Never!" He whispers as he pulls back.

I feel a tear rolling down my cheeks. I don't know if keeping this from him is for my benefit or his anymore.

Benjamin's thumb is under my eyes as he swipes away the tear that has betrayed me. He doesn't say anything and just pulls me into another hug. I wrap my arms around him and squeeze tight for dear life because I might never get another moment like this again.

His phone suddenly starts ringing breaking us from our embrace. Benjamin grabs his phone from his pocket and looks at the screen. He sighs and raises his finger to let me know that he'll be back before he walks to the kitchen. I sit back down on the sofa and try to get myself together. I can't lose it in front of Benjamin. I don't want to look vulnerable.
Benjamin comes out a few minutes later looking a bit frustrated. His hair messy as if he had been running his hand through it. "That was Cheryl." He informs me even though I didn't ask.

"Is everything okay?" I ask him. Maybe she told him over the phone?

"She needs me to come over." I nod my head. She didn't tell him then. "I'll see you around?" He asks me. I nod again, but make no move to stand up from my seat. Benjamin walks over to me and kneels so that he's face to face with me. His hand caresses my cheek and I lean into his touch wanting more, even though I shouldn't. Before anything can happen, Benjamin stands up and leaves.

I arrive early to work the next day. Dr. Wilkinson is sitting at his desk completely engrossed in what he's reading. I greet him before taking my place at the receptionist desk.

There isn't much to do since there aren't a lot of patients. I mostly answer the phone. At noon, however, Wyatt walks through the door with a young boy holding his hand. At first, He looks surprised to see me there, but then once the shock is gone he smiles brightly.

"I didn't know you worked here." He tells me.

"Today's my first day." I inform him. I peer from my desk to look at the young boy. "Hi" I wave at the young boy cheerfully. "Is he your brother?" I ask him.

He nods. "Yes, this is my younger brother, Sam." He tells me. "We don't have an appointment, but he's been having really bad stomach pain. Is Dr. Wilkinson available?" He asks.

I nod. "Just a second." I inform Dr. Wilkinson, who immediately lets them into the examination room.

"Is he going to be okay?" I ask Wyatt once he comes out of the examination room with his brother.

"He will be." He tells me as he smiles at the young boy. "We're still on for our date next week, right?" He asks me I nod my head. "Good. I'll see you then." He waves goodbye as he walks out with his brother in tow.

Later that night, Layla and I sit on the floor Indian style eating Chinese takeout out of carton boxes.

"So you're going out with Wyatt on a second date?" She asks again.

"Yes." I nod. "He's a nice guy, and it's only fair that I give him another chance."

"He is." She agrees. "But, I don't want you to string him along."

"Why would I string him along?" I ask her as I take a bite of the spring roll.
"You're obviously still hung up on a certain someone." She eyes me sideways before placing the box of sweet and sour chicken on the floor.

"I'm not!" I try to defend myself. "And even if I was, my feelings might change with time, and I might start liking Wyatt."

Layla stretches out her legs and leans her back on the sofa behind her. "We both know your feelings aren't going to change, Rosa." She takes a sip of water before continuing. "You still haven't had closure yet."

"And how do you reckon I do that?"

"Tel him the truth." She's serious now as her eyes bore into mine. "Tell him why you left. He deserves to know." I start to talk, but she doesn't let me. "And don't you dare give me that crap about how you'll hurt him or how he'll see you differently. Benjamin is a big boy. You don't have to keep protecting his feeling. You're not doing yourself any favors either."

This is the first time that Layla has talked to me in such a serious way. She has never had strong opinions regarding Benjamin and I, but she was far from holding back right now.

"I just need some more time." I plead.

"You've got all the time in the world, honey." She tells me a bit relaxed now. "But you're just delaying the inevitable."

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)