Chapter Twenty Six - Can I Say Yes?

I'm awaken by light feather like touches on my face. I open my sleepy eyes to see Benjamin stroking my cheek with a smile on his face. I break into a smile of my own not because I know why he's smiling, but because I know he's happy and that's enough reason to make me happy.

"You're awake." Benjamin's voice is hoarse. "Did you sleep well?" He asks me.

I roll over to my stomach and wrap my arm along his torso as I nuzzle my neck against the crook of his neck. "This is the best sleep I've gotten in a very long time." My voice is laced with sleep.

"Me too." He kisses the top of my head.

We stay in bed a bit late then take a shower together, to save water of course, before deciding to venture out to the kitchen to eat breakfast. Even though Benjamin has stocked up the fridge and cupboards with all of the essentials, we decide to go for milk and cereal.

"Did you take the day off?" Benjamin asks me as he takes a spoonful of cereal and shoves it in his mouth.

I shake my head. "I was about to do that once I finished breakfast."

Benjamin nods. "That's good because I'm not letting you leave." He smirks. I don't say anything because quite honestly I don't plan leaving any time soon either.

***

"Peel the onions." I order Benjamin.

He takes a knife from the kitchen drawer, cuts the ends of the onion and peels off the rest.

"Wash them before you cut them." I order him.

"Why?" He asks me.

"Because that's how it's done." I smirk at him.

I watch him as he walks to the tap and rinses the onions well before coming to my side and cutting the onions into small dices and leaving them on the chopping table for me to use.

"Thank you." I tell him as I busy myself with cutting the tomatoes.

Since the cabin was practically in a remote place and far away from civilization, Benjamin and I decided to have dinner inside rather than venture out into the real world. We want to be alone inside our bubble for as long as we possibly can.

I decided to make Beetroot salmon with potato salad, and Mushroom and Parmesan risotto. I was surprised to see that he had all of the ingredients available. Apparently his parents had stocked up when they were here a couple of weeks ago. Benjamin offered to help me prepare dinner because it means he can spend more time with me.

"Do you need help with anything else?" He asks me.

"You can wash your hands and crush the garlic." I tell him.

"You're so bossy in the kitchen." He tells me teasingly as I suddenly feel his arms snake around my stomach and his breath on my neck making body tingle.

"Benjamin." I whine. "We have to finish making dinner."

"Fine." He mutters with a small pout. Benjamin actually pouts. "But, I'm having my way with you later." He points at me.

"Is that a threat Mister?" I ask him mockingly.

"Oh, it's a promise."

Our dinner is filled with laughs and giggles. It feels so good to be back with Benjamin this way. No worries, no thinking about anything else but us. Just us. I feel so happy. Happier than I have ever been in a long time. Benjamin is the source of my happiness. I've come to this realization a very long time ago, but I was too stubborn to admit it, just like Layla said.

"The food was so good." Benjamin compliments once he's done with the main course.

"Well, you did help." I tell him.

"No." He shakes his head. "This was all you." He tells me. "I've always loved your cooking. You know that."

A small smile appears on my face and I'm so glad that he loves my cooking. My mom taught me well. She has always told me that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.

"Well, I hope you like the dessert as much."

"Is it you?" He asks me with smirk.

"Benjamin!" My cheeks heat up.

"What?" He asks me with a shrug and an amused smile on his face.

I bring the tiramisu that I have made earlier out of the fridge and cut two slices, one for me and one for Benjamin. Benjamin murmurs his approval making my night even better.

He excuses himself once were done with the dessert while I grab the dishes and place them on the sink to wash them.

"Rosa, will you turn around?" Benjamin asks me.

"What is it?" I ask him with my back still to him as I rinse the plate under the sink.

"Just do it."

I sigh and grab a tea towel, drying my hands off before turning around. I audibly gasp as I see Benjamin on one knee, holding out a blue box with the lid open in his hand. Inside is a pear shaped diamond ring.

"Rosa, ever since I laid my eyes on you, I knew you were going to be a big part of my life. We've been through our fair share of struggles, but it doesn't matter because I'm willing to experience the good and bad with you." He looks deep into my eyes and happy, emotional tears slide down my face. "You are the only woman I ever want to spend my life with. I lost you once, but I'll be damned if I ever lose you again."

"Yes!" I want to jump up and down with joy, but settle for a huge smile. He pauses for a second.

"Shouldn't I finish first?" His smile is teasing and I nod like a happy fool. "Will you marry me?"

"Can I say yes now?" I ask him impatiently as I jump up and hug him tightly.

"Can I give you the ring?" He asks me with a chuckle.

I pull back and look at him. "Oh, yes. The ring." I feel giddy inside.

Benjamin slips the ring on my finger and I look at it with joy. "It's beautiful." I exclaim.

"It is." He agrees, but as I look up at him I notice that his eyes are set on me rather than on the ring.

"I'm so happy!" I tell him honestly.

Rusty starts barking and circling around us. At the moment, I realize that everything happens for a reason. Everything that has happened, be it good or bad, has led me to this moment. It may not have been an easy journey, but I have learned from it and grown from it, and I feel extremely happy of where I am right now.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)