Chapter Nine - Under the Weather

Sunday morning, I wake up with a groan. I don't want to move out of the bed. I just want to stay under the covers, but an incessant knocking on my front door makes urges me to see who's there.

"Good morning!" Layla singsongs once I open the door. "Coffee?" She asks me as she hands me a takeaway coffee cup. "I've also got muffins."

I gratefully accept the paper cup from her as she walks in and closes the door behind her. She goes to the kitchen to place the muffins on the kitchen table and I follow her there.
We both take a seat at the table and we each grab a piece of muffin.

"Late night?" She asks me as she bites into the muffin.

"You could say that." I take a sip of the coffee and moan in approval.

"So I take it that it was a good date?"

I shrug. "It was okay, I guess." I tell her. "Wyatt is a really nice guy, but I'm not sure if I reciprocate his feelings."

Layla nods. "You know what I think." She tells me and I remember her speech the other night.

"I talked to Benjamin yesterday as well." Layla is taking a bite of her muffin so she doesn't respond. "Layla, do you know how Cheryl and Benjamin met?"

Layla raised her eyebrow. "I thought you didn't want to know anything about him?"

Just like Esmeralda, I made Layla promise me not to tell me anything about Benjamin, I did get updates about everything else, but not on Benjamin. However, I still can't get what he told me out of my head "There's a lot that you don't know about me and Cheryl". What did he mean by that?

I shrug. "So, do you know or not?"

Layla takes a sip of her coffee before responding. "Cheryl came to town a couple of months or so after you left. "

"Benjamin tells me they've only been dating for about six months or so."

Layla nods. "Yes, they didn't date at first. She was with Harry for about a year."

I almost spit out my coffee. "Harry? As in big guy Harry? As in Biker Harry?"

Layla chuckles. "The one and only."

Harry, or as the town people all know him as Big Guy Harry, owns a Motorcycle shop. He's known for selling illegal drugs, but until now nothing is for sure. They're all rumors with no valid proof.

"She really upgraded." I tell her.

"Big time." Layla agrees. "Anyways, as I was saying she went out with Harry for about a year and once they broke up she and Benjamin started dating."

"Oh."

"Now there was a rumor running" I leaned in intrigued. "That Benjamin and Harry got into a fight over Cheryl, and they've been dating ever since."

"Is the rumor true?" I really doubt it because Benjamin isn't the type of guy that gets into fights.

Layla shrugs. "No one really knows for sure."

We spend the rest do the day not doing anything useful just lounging around and being lazy. Layla eventually leaves early in the evening to get ready for her date with Noah.

It's a bit busy the next day at work. Everyone seems to have caught the flu. Dr. Wilkinson is working like a bee from one patient to another. At the end of the day, he comes out of the office and releases a breath.

"You can leave if you want." He tells me.

"Are you sure?" I ask him. We aren't sure if anyone else might come since all the patients that came today didn't have appointments.

"Yes." He waves me off. "I have to get home to wife and kids as well."

I smile brightly at him. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then." I grab my bag and leave. On my way, I pass by Benjamin's office. The lights inside are switched off so I guess they were done for the day as well.

I continue to walk towards my house when my cellphone rings inside my bag. I fumble around until I find it then answer without seeing whose calling.

"Rosa." Esmeralda's voice fills my ear. "So glad you answered."

"Is everything okay?" I ask her feeling worried all of a sudden.

"As a matter of fact, no. Benjamin is under the weather and isn't feeling great. Can you go over and check up on him?"

My heart hurts for him. "Where is Cheryl?"

"Cheryl's out of town visiting her mother, and neither Collin nor I are able to check up on him because we're going to dinner at his parent's house."

"Okay." I sigh. I really didn't want to see him after the other night, but I guess I had no other option.

I know the way to his home by heart so I start walking there. I'm a bundle of nerves and I don't know what to expect. I don't know how he'll treat me after the other night. I know that it eventually ended on a somewhat of a good note, but god knows that Benjamin and I had a lot of things to talk about.

I reach his house and knock once. I wait for a few seconds, but he doesn't open the door. I knock once more, still nothing. I start to call Esmeralda to make sure that Benjamin is really home when the door suddenly opens with a haggard looking Benjamin staring at me.

"Rosa?" He coughs and covers his mouth with his shirtsleeves.

"Esmeralda told me you're sick." I inform him.

He moves aside to let me in. As soon as I'm inside I hear footsteps padding on the floor and I'm suddenly attacked by a beautiful dog. Rusty licks my face and I'm surprised that he still remembers me. It feels so good.

"I miss you, you beast." I scratch behind his ear and he rolls over to his back and starts panting.
I look up at Benjamin who is looking down at me with a tired smile on his face. "I'm surprised he still remembers me."

"You forgot how much he loves you." He tells me before walking to the living room. I follow behind him with Rusty who is wagging his tail.
Benjamin flops down on the sofa and I look at him. Like really look at him. He has bags under his eyes and a five o'clock shadow. He looks really exhausted.

"Looks like you caught the flu." I tell him. Benjamin nods as if too tired to answer. "Did you have something to eat?"

Benjamin seems to be deep in thought before he replies. "I ate noodles last night."

I gape at him. "Last night?" He simply nods.
I shake my head and grab another pillow from one of the other sofas. "Lay down." I order him and he complies. I place the pillow behind his head and cover him up with the throw that's on the couch. I place my hand on his forehead and notice that he's freezing up.

"I'll make you some soup." I tell him. "In the meantime try to close your eyes and get some sleep. I will wake you up once the soup is done."

Benjamin nods his head, his eyes already half closed. I hate seeing him so vulnerable. It doesn't suit him at all.

"Come on boy, let's make some soup." Rusty follows me to the kitchen.

I slip out of my shoes and make myself comfortable for the long night ahead.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)