Chapter Eleven - Coffee and Calls

Benjamin's POV

The rays of sunlight shining through my living room window wake me up from my sleep. I am feeling much better than I did yesterday. I look up to my side and notice a sleeping Rosalinda. She looks like an angel. So sweet, so beautiful, but unfortunately not mine. I stare at her a bit more savoring this moment as I might not get the chance again.

Standing up, I walk over to her and cover her with the blanket properly before placing a small kiss on her forehead. She stirs a bit and I'm afraid that I had woke her up, but she still appears deep in sleep.

I grab my phone from the coffee table to check if there are any missed calls or text messages, and sure enough there are several missed calls from Cheryl and one from Collin, my brother. There are also two messages, one from each. I press on Cheryl's name and the text message opens. I start reading as I make my way to the kitchen.

Cheryl:
Why aren't you answering your phone? Call me.

Collin:
Hey, bro. Call when you can.

I decide to call my brother first. He answers on the second ring.

"Hey man, how are you feeling?" Collin greets me.

"Better." my voice is low as I start the coffee machine.

"Why are you whispering?' He asks me.

"Rosalinda's asleep." I tell him. "I don't want to wake her up."

"She spent the night?" He asks me surprised. Then, I can hear him telling someone else what I just told him. I assume its Esmeralda. "Put him on speaker." Yes, that's definitely Esmeralda's voice.

"Yes, why is that so surprising to you?"

"Ben, how are you?" Esmeralda's voice fills my ear.

"I'm good, Es. Thank you for sending Rosa to my house."

Esmeralda chuckles. "You're welcome, Ben. You know I love you just as much as I love her." Esmeralda is really the best. A crying voice is heard in the background. "I have to go, Ben. Phillip's crying. Good luck!"

"Don't push her." Collin warns me. "She'll talk when she's ready."

I nod and run my hand through my hair. "I know. I'm giving her all the time in the world that she needs."

"We'll talk later." We say goodbye before he hangs up.

I grab a mug from the cabinet and fill it up with coffee. I take a sip as my hand hovers over Cheryl's name. I'm not sure if I should call her or not. I don't feel like getting into an argument so early in the morning. It seems like this is all we do lately; get into arguments.

I press the call button before I change my mind. Cheryl wastes no time in answering.

"Where have you been?" Her tone accusing.

"Well, good morning to you too!" I take a sip of my coffee as I look out the kitchen window to the garden. The grass could use some trimming.

"Don't give me that! I've been trying to call you all day yesterday, but you weren't answering. Were you with her?"

By 'her' she means Rosalinda. Cheryl knows that I was in a serious relationship with someone before her. She didn't know Rosalinda because when Cheryl moved here, Rosalinda had already left town. However, when we bumped into Rosalinda and Wyatt at the restaurant she put two and two together.

"I'm not going to answer that because I'm not in the mood for your pettiness."

"Oh, so now I'm petty?"

"Cheryl, what do you want?" I ask her exasperated.

"I'm coming back tomorrow."

"Should I throw you a coming home party?" The sarcasm is clear in my tone.

"There's something I need to tell you."

"Well spit it out then."

"I can't say it over the phone." She tells me. "I'd rather tell you when I come back."

"Okay, I'll see you when you're back." I don't wait for her to respond before I hang up.

My relationship with Cheryl has been hanging on a very loose thread lately. It wasn't that great even to begin with. I don't dwell on what she has to tell me. It's probably just some idiotic thing that she created in her mind, and now she wants to have a fight about it.

I turn around to go back to the living room, but I'm surprised when I see Rosalinda standing in the kitchen doorway. She looks so cute with her hair messed up and her cheeks has a tinge of pink.

"Good morning, beautiful." She murmurs a good morning in response then takes a seat at the kitchen table. "Coffee?" I ask her.

"Please."

I grab a mug from the cabinet and pour some coffee into it then hand it to her. I take a seat on table as I drink my coffee as well.

"Did you sleep well?" I ask her.

She nods. "Yes, thank you."

I hate it that she's so formal to me, but I promised that I won't push her and I'm keeping my word. I'm going to take it slow. Talking to her is something I never imagined myself I'd do ever again. I can't be more grateful that I'm sitting at the same table with her right now.

"Was that Cheryl on the phone?" She asks me timidly. I nod. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine." I assure her "don't you worry about a thing." I touch the top of her nose making her smile.

I'm pretty sure she heard me arguing with Cheryl and I don't want her to feel bad about that. It's not her fault.

"Can I offer you breakfast?" I change the subject. "I don't have much except for maybe eggs if you want. I'm due for a grocery trip."

She nods. "Yes, badly." She chuckles. "But, don't worry about it. I need to get to work soon anyways."

"You sure?" I ask her. "I can grab some pastries form the bakery real quick."

She shakes her head. "Don't worry about it." She takes a sip of her coffee and I can see a smile playing on her lips.

"Do you want to go grocery shopping with me?"

"I can't. I have work."

"Well, I'm not saying right now. I mean after work. We can go grocery shopping together. I wouldn't know what to buy if I went alone."

She raised an eyebrow at me. "How do you usually do it, then?"

"I don't." I tell her. "My house maid still does it for me, but I'd like to do it myself for a change."
Rosalinda has always nagged me to do things myself, but starting my own firm and working hard, I didn't have time for menial things. I knew I had thrown the bait out there, and now I just need Rosalinda to catch it.

"Okay." She agrees just like I expected, and I mentally pump my fist in the air.

Baby steps. We'll get there one baby step at a time.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)