Prologue The WerePanther I Call Mine

Its true that right before death, your life flashes before your eyes. My name is Avalon and this is my story.

I was running through the woods in my cat form. I'm neither a tiger nor a lion but a combination of both. Humans call my kind Ligers. We're rare because tigers rarely mate lions except maybe in captivity. Me, I'm even more special because my kind die off early. Our organs can't support our huge bodies os our organs quit. What sucks even more is that we can't concieve unless we find our mates. I feel lucky I havn't found mine. No way would I want to go through the pain of losing a child. Even with our mates, conception is unlikely and rare and if it happens, its rare the child will survive through its first shift. I would never want to condem a child of mine to that kind of fate.

So I'm pretty much doomed to a lonely and childless life.

I shook my head, clearing my negative thoughts just as I heard a snap of a twig. I snap my head around long canines barred, claws extended in time to see three huge bears step from the brush. I hissed and growled deep in my throat, warning them not to come any clocer. They ignore my warning and slowly circle me, surrounding me, keeping me from escaping. I sniff the air. They're not just bears, they're shifters!!

I knew what they wanted. I knew I would never tell them, I would take my secret to the grave. I swiped a paw across one of the bear's faces as it tried to get clocer and growled. The bear cried out then in anger charged, causing an opening for me to escape.

Quickly the bear realizes his mistake but it was too late, I bounded through the opening and took off like a bullet. They gave chase behind me. I glanced behind me to see how far behind me they were. Close and getting closer. Just then I smacked into something large and look up int a huge face of a bear. It swipes a huge paw across my shoulder before I could avoid, tearing open my side. I yelped.

"Tell us where it is Avalon and we'll let you live." The large bear said. I knew he was lying, I could smell the sour smell of burnt sugar a mile away. I knew as soon as he knew my secret, he'd kill me.

"Liar! I'll never tell you where it is!" I said with a defiant snarl.

"Fine, have it your way. Kill her" He said to the other bears.

"With pleasure." They said. They attacked faster than I could blink, one scraping a claw across my back, another hitting me across the head, causing me to fall on my back. Quickly I lash out with my paws, and got in a few good swipes but not before they swiped a large paw across my stomach, tearing open the skin.

I don't remember much after that, just remembered the pain and a feral and musical growl from another shifter, the bears ran in fright while the shifter ran to my side and said "Don't you dare leave me, Fight." I was all out of fight and think he seen that too for he bit me on my shoulder, marking me forever as his mate.

His strength sweeped though me and my cat growled at the warning then accepted the claiming. Then everything went black.