PROLOGUE | ncis or csi?

The wheels of my suitcase squeak behind me as I run through the airport terminals. My ticket dampens from my sweaty palms.

A few more minutes, and I'll be sitting in the jet with a virgin Mai Tai in my hand. Of course, that's ruined by a phone call from a fellow Secret Service agent.

"What do you mean the jet's conducting an emergency landing in Wichita, Kansas?" Some fliers cast strange looks in my direction. "Look, I'm not looking for an explanation, alright? Tell the President I'll be there as soon as I can."

Next stop: the help desk.

It takes a while to convince the airhostess that I work with the President — had to show her one of our pictures from Guam — before she exchanges the ticket for another.

This time, I don't need to rush to get on my flight in Dallas.

But somehow, I'm still the last one to get on the Alpha Foxtrot 29000.

"Good evening, men." I greet the various agents aboard the aircraft. They're all congregated around a body.

"Agent Fornell out there is FBI. Agent Todd, Secret Service." The M.E. introduces.

I scoff. "This guy is definitely not FBI." Tossing my jacket onto one of the leather seats, I bend down beside the non-FBI man. "So, what are you? NCIS or CSI?"

"One of those is a TV show." One of the standing agents clarifies. "And who the hell are you?" His face contorts to suspicion.

My glove snaps against my wrist. "P.I. Evaline Giudice." I flash a smirk in his direction. "I'm sure you'll all agree that I deserve jurisdiction."

The one wearing a suit steps forward.

FBI.

"And may I ask why you think you deserve jurisdiction?"

A chuckle erupts from my chest. But no one joins in. "You seriously don't know who I am?" They shake their heads. "Close friend of the President's. Anything and everything remotely related to the President's wellbeing is in my realm of jurisdiction." Couple pairs of eyes widen in surprise.

"Who even invited you here?" The same agent from earlier attempts to provoke me.

He's really starting to annoy the crap out of me.

"I did." The only Secret Service agent on the plane stands up. "The President himself requested it. What was I going to do, say no?" She defends her actions.

"Better go get those forms for that FBI guy." The local M.E. leaves.

And then there were five.

The silver-haired man cocks a brow. "Shouldn't you be going with him?"

"I think I'll stay here. See what you guys plan and force you to take me."

I drive a very hard bargain.

Instead of waiting for an answer, I stand up and walk past the two men. "Now, it's absolutely up to you to let me in on the investigation." Then, I face them. "But personally, I wouldn't want to get on the President's bad side by not letting his P.I. join."

And. . .sold.

"Fine. You can be on my team."

And that's just the beginning into a whirlwind of adventures.