EIGHT | steve urkel

"Good morning, Evaline. Want a donut?" Tony holds up a white paper bag.

"No thanks." My mouth waters at the look of the glazed donuts inside. "I'm trying this new diet where I can't eat carbs, so a donut doesn't exactly fit in."

The senior agent scans my figure up and down. "From what I can see, you could use a donut. Maybe three." He suggests.

"My body, my choices." I smile politely.

"We got a murder at Little Creek." As soon as Gibbs arrives, he's already headed towards the elevator. "Get Ducky."

Tony gets out of his seat, hunched over and super tight.

"You alright?"

"Couldn't be better."

"Kate, what did you say to him?"

Seeing as the body is close to the water, we have to take measurements and pictures before the tide can come in. Fortunately, we finish the preliminaries in time.

Unfortunately, Tony's left soaking wet.

While Kate and Gibbs talk to the CEO of Side-Scan Technologies — where our victim used to work — I stick around with Tony.

I stand by the front desk, waiting for him to finish changing into the spare suit Ducky provided. Of course, when he does arrive, Seaman Apprentice Sparks goes quiet.

My lips curve up in a smile, the only thing stopping me from bursting into giggles."My, oh, my, Agent DiNozzo. You look ravishing."

"Special Agents DiNozzo and Giudice." Tony shows him his badge.

Sparks covers the microphone part of his headset. "Just can't stop messing with the uniforms, can they, sir?"

And that does it.

Tony glares daggers when he hears the muffled laugh from my direction.

"You on duty this morning?"

"Yes, sir."

"Take the call about the attack on the beach?"

"Yes, sir." Sparks' focus shifts to his computer. "Call came in at 0932."

"Get a name?"

"No, sir. But the voice was male. Sounded real nervous. And when I started asking questions, he just hung up."

I peer over the counter to see his desk phone. "I see that you have caller ID."

"Yes, ma'am. But the call that came in this morning was blocked." His tongue grazes over his bottom lip.

Great. Just. . .great.

"Well," Tony steps forward, gently pushing me back, "it shouldn't be too hard for NCIS to trace that. Come on, G."

As we are about to leave, Sparks calls out, "I'd write a letter, sir."

"Keep walking, DiNozzo."

We meet up with a dear old friend to help us trace the call.

"Come on, come on, come on, McGee! You said you could do this." Tony rushes him.

"I didn't say it was going to be easy." McGee shoots back.

Tony repeatedly taps a finger on his knee. "Actually, that's exactly what you said. Only on the phone, you ended it with a 'sir'."

"Well, that's when I thought you were talking about going through the proper channels."

"Proper channels have too many bends."

"Alright!" I cut in, shutting them both up. "I don't think I'd be able to survive a day if McGee happened to join the response team. You two would drive me crazy!" My hands entangle themselves around the ends of my hair.