FORTY ONE | saving my life

"Target's name is Kody Meyers, fifteen years old." The head of SRT stands in front of the surveillance cameras around school. "According to the witness, he came to class with a bomb strapped to his chest."

He points up to the footage where one of the teams is in place.

"We set a perimeter outside the classroom. Evacuated all nonessentials. EOD's on site sweeping for secondaries."

"How many hostages?" Tony glances over at him.

"Four, maybe five." He assumes. "My men are doing a headcount on the student body."

"Any description of the bomb from the witness?"

"She was rushed to emergency. Being treated for a panic attack."

"DiNozzo, Eva, find out who Kody Meyers is and get his parents in here." Gibbs demands strictly before turning back to the SRT leader.

I glance over Tony, our cellphones already in hand.

This isn't going to be easy.

By the time we finish making the calls, Gibbs is creeping towards the classroom of hostages. Tony's abrupt whispering startles him out of his thoughts.

"I found Kody's father. He was at a conference in Washington, D.C.. MPs are escorting him now." The senior agent lets him know, to which Gibbs cocks a brow.

"I just thought you'd want to know before you go in there."

Gibbs turns to me with raised brows.

"Don't look at me. He insisted you'd want to know."

My hand finds Tony's, and I pull him back towards the agents in place, leaving Gibbs to be.

"I told you not to bother him when he's in the mood."

"Funny. You didn't seem to mind when I was bothering you last night."

"Zip it, DiNozzo."

After a brief conversation with Kody, he agrees to release one of the hostages. She steps with her hands raised, and Gibbs rushes to retrieve her.

"Debrief her."

Tony and I run off to the backstage setup, the young teen between us. Once we make her comfortable at one of the desks, we begin the process.

Although she's traumatized through the entire discussion, Tony calms her every time while jotting down every piece of information she gives.

"He's going to blow everyone up!" She sobs into my shoulder once again.

I gently wrap my right arm around her, holding the young girl as she cries.

"No, he's not." Gibbs enters, tossing his hat onto the table. "It's not going to happen, Stephanie."

McGee runs inside. "Boss, got the inhaler."

"I have to take it to her. That's what he said." Stephanie sniffles, wiping under her eyes to get rid of the tear stains. "I have to get the inhaler and bring it back to her because she needs it!"

"I'll take it."

All eyes fall on me for a moment.

"DiNozzo, go get her a drink."

Once Tony leaves with Stephanie, McGee and I concur around Gibbs near the bookshelves.

"Boss, you're not going to send Eva back in there, are you?" The probationary agent glances over in my direction for a split second.