FORTY SEVEN | my queen

"Is this what he does whenever I'm gone?"

Ziva and Tony's attention focus on me the second I walk out of the elevator. A red tint spreads across my cheeks and neck.

But it's nothing compared to the looks of embarrassment on their faces as they try on McGee's costume attire.

"Before you ask, no, I was not at a Halloween party." I drop my bag beside my desk. "I was at the children's hospital passing out candy."

"Well, that explains the costume. However, it doesn't explain why you're dressed as. . ." Ziva trails off, trying to figure out who I'm dressed as.

"Belle. I'm supposed to be Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Disney, kids, you know the whole ordeal." My fingers pull at the dress.

Tony kisses my lips affectionately. "Well, I think you look fantastic. A real princess." His left hand cups my cheek.

"Which makes you my prince." I boop his nose. "And a beast for most of the movie."

"I think we both know that holds true." A smirk grows on his face. "Especially when we —"

"I do not need to listen to what goes on behind closed windows."

"Closed doors."

"Closed whatever."

"Gear up." Gibbs walks in at his usual hurried pace. "General Custer has been shot, and he has a dead skeleton in his living room."

"What about —"

"Change in the truck, Evaline."

"I'm not opposed to —"

"You're driving, DiNozzo. So, no, you can't help her."

Ziva offers a change of clothes and even a pair of shoes, but I'm still left with the luxurious makeup and curled hair.

"Guy dressed as Custer is Staff Sergeant Erik Niles. LEOs are looking for his wife and daughter. Blood trail leads from his house to the neighbor's house, who called it in."

Cleopatra of the Nile stands on her porch, talking to one of the local officers.

"Tony, Evaline, get her statement. McGee, start processing the Staff Sergeant's living room. Ziva, figure out who the hell the dead John Doe dressed as a skeleton is."

Just as assigned, Tony and I meet with the woman who called in the incident.

"I thought he was play-acting at first." She wipes away the heavy eyeliner smudges. "General Custer's Last Stand, all that?"

"Why did you remove his jacket?" I jot down notes.

"To check for other wounds. There weren't any." Her gaze slowly shifts down to the wooden floorboards. "Just a single gunshot wound that nicked his carotid artery."

"You seem to know a lot about anatomy."

"I'm a doctor — pediatrician."

"Well, that explains why he headed over here." Tony nods lightly. "You probably saved his life, doctor."

"I stabilized him the best I could until the EMTs arrived." She brushes her dark hair over her shoulder. "And. . .it's Leslie."

While Tony looks in my direction, my mouth contorts to a fake smile.

"Did he ever say anything to you?"

"He tried to, yes. I think it was his daughter's name — Sarah. I'm hoping she was with her mother when this. . .this happened."