16 | sixteen

A / N

...so, anyone still reading this?

It has been so long, I know, and I'm sorry. I got lost for awhile, and Darcy's narrative became really hard to write when I wasn't emotionally stable. But you should know that I never half-arse anything, and that when I'm fully committed to a story I will try to see it through, no matter how long it takes.

So what you have here is a lengthier (hotter) chapter, because this story is finally back on track. Special thanks to stereohearted for being my beta, and beautlies for not giving up on Miles (me. I meant me.) Thank you all for your constant support and kind messages, and stay tuned for more updates (and more Miles).

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

1 6

the one where Noelle (/Miles) is back

WITH ONE WEEK left to Christmas, I knew that it was high time I pulled on my big girl pants and get to work. I'd neglected most of my old duties after temporarily taking over Brielle's, which had been perfectly fine with my parents.

Until the day came when Mom discovered that I'd yet to decorate the Christmas tree. With a horrified gasp, she'd shoved the box of decorations into my arms and threatened to have me grounded if I didn't finish the tree. I'd rolled my eyes, but headed to the lobby all the same after office hours. I was midway through sorting the ornaments when footsteps stopped near me.

"Get up, Evers."

I froze at the familiar voice, then threw a glance over my shoulder. Miles was several feet away, all decked out in his usual business suit, and frowning down at me. A smile leapt across my face. "Hi, what're you—"

The words barely left me when he closed the distance between us. Long fingers wrapped around my arm and jerked me to my feet. In a flash, he tugged me closer so that I was almost flush against him. Startled by our proximity, I placed a hand on his chest to steady myself and blinked owlishly up at him.

"What—"

"They were staring," he hissed.

"Who—?"

I followed the direction of his gaze, only to find three guys looking at us. The first two quickly averted their stares, but the last openly leered. He didn't seem bothered that I'd caught him. Instead, he swept his eyes up and down my body, to finally land on my ass.

Teenage Darcy might've stormed over and threatened to stick pins in that pervert's eyeballs. But I felt the growl that ripped from Miles, his muscles tense beneath my palm, and his anger calmed me. I found myself smiling up at him instead. "It's okay," I assured him softly. "I've got this."

Moving away from Miles, I headed towards the other guys. Two of them watched me with wide eyes, but the last shot me a cocky smirk. I took a deep breath and met his gaze squarely. "Hi," I started, pasting the fakest smile I could muster on my face. "Are you guys checking in?"

"Why? Are you checking in with us?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from snapping. "I'm afraid not. I'm all checked in, you see," I said, and shot a deliberate glance towards Miles. He'd remained where he was, but his jaw was tight, blue eyes dark as he glared daggers at them. I turned back to the boys and added, "I'll be sure to find you boys some great rooms, though." Without waiting for their reply, I went to the counter and lowered my voice to speak to the staff. "Have you given them their keys yet?"