Chapter 27

Loki sat behind the driver's seat in Gibbs' car, leaning against the window. Tony sat beside him, arms crossed angrily over his chest. He and Thor and gotten into an argument about who got to ride shotgun, and Thor had won by shoving Tony down onto the pavement.

Now DiNozzo sulked next to Loki, sticking his tongue out at the back of Thor's head and muttering, "I would have licked you if I wasn't hungover."

That was something Loki would have paid good money to see.

After dropping Tony off at his house, Gibbs drove silently back to his home. Loki watched the scenery slide past. He saw young kids playing in their front yards, chasing each other and throwing balls around.

"Do you remember when we used to do such things?" Thor asked suddenly, twisting to look back at his brother.

"I do," Loki replied. "But that was a long time ago. Things have changed."

"They weren't supposed to become like this," Thor remarked, settling back into his original position.

"Nevertheless, they have," Loki murmured.

Silence fell again as Gibbs pulled into his driveway. On entering the house, Loki jumped to see Fornell sitting on the couch, feet on the coffee table, a beer in his hand.

"Hey, Gibbs," he greeted. "Thor, Loki."

The Asgardians gave him cursory nods as Gibbs shut the door. "Hey, Fornell."

"How was Asgard?"

"Not like here," Gibbs responded with a short laugh.

"Well, that's descriptive," Loki said.

Gibbs headed into the kitchen as Fornell called after him. "Chinese food's on the counter. I ate already."

"What is this Chinese food you speak of?" Thor queried, following Gibbs into the kitchen. Loki hurried after him, feeling strangely hungry.

Gibbs handed the two brothers a carton each of some strange looking food, which they sniffed suspiciously. With a shrug, Thor headed to the table and dug in, while Loki looked up at Gibbs with an eyebrow raised.

"Eat, Laufeyson," Gibbs said, grabbing his own carton and heading for the table. Fornell sauntered up to them and took a seat as Loki joined them.

"How's the case going, Gibbs?" Fornell queried as the three began to eat. Loki coughed and covered his mouth with his napkin.

"What the –?" he choked. He pointed at his food.

Fornell peered into his dish. "Ah, that's General Gau's chicken. What, too strong for your delicate Asgardian taste buds?"

Loki shot the FBI agent a look that could kill. "I wasn't expecting that flavor. That's all."

Fornell grinned and took a swig of his beer. "Like you weren't expecting the Avengers to show up?"

"Enough!" Loki shouted, standing so quickly his chair tipped over and crashed to the floor. "I am a god, Agent Fornell. I will not be taunted for all eternity about my failure in New York. One more quip, and I ensure you never laugh again. I am understood, Special Agent Fornell?"

There was silence as Fornell leaned back from Loki's angry glare. "I heard you, Laufeyson."

Gibbs laughed. "You had that coming, Fornell."

Fornell clapped Loki on the back. "I guess I did, Fornell. All right, Laufeyson, we'll let you off the hook. But I can't exactly promise to stop teasing you."

Loki rolled his eyes but sat back down. As he slowly ate, he listened to Gibbs and Thor fill Fornell in on the case and their Asgardian trip. At the mention of the Trojan horse, Fornell set down his beer.

"Someone put a virus in Laufeyson's head?" he asked incredulously. "Who?"

Loki glanced at Gibbs anxiously but the former Marine didn't look his way. "We're not sure yet," he answered. "But we're going to get it out of him. As soon as Vance gives the all clear."

"What's holding you back?" Fornell questioned.

"Our current case. Vance wants all our focus on that right now. After that, I'm going to have McGhee see what he can do." Gibbs stopped there and went back to eating.

Loki took a deep breath, trying to tamp down his anger at the NCIS director. "Remind me to...thank Director Vance whenever I meet him."

Fornell's mouth quirked up into a grin. "Oh, I'm going to have to see this."

Gibbs shot Loki a warning look. "Watch yourself, Laufeyson."

"Oh, I will," Loki said, a mischievous tone underlying his words. "Vance will never see me coming."

"I mean it, Laufeyson," Gibbs snapped. "You won't earn his respect that way."

Askance, Loki looked at Gibbs. "All right, Agent Gibbs. I'll respect your wishes."

That statement made Thor choke heavily on his food, which was definitely worth the promise.