Chapter 32

After bagging that little nasty piece of evidence, Gibbs, Loki, and Bishop joined McGhee and Tony outside the trailer. The two other agents had collected samples of all the objects the scepter's beam had struck for Abby to analyze.

"We searched the perimeter," Tony told Gibbs. "All we were able to find is the samples of that scepter's targets."

"Boss?" McGhee called from the front of the trailer. "You might want to see this."

The team hurried to where McGhee was crouched beside the cinder blocks that had been cemented together to form the front steps. The agent pointed to a jumbled piece of circuitry resting against the steps. Wires stuck out at odd angles and Loki could make out the fractured remains of a screen.

Gibbs crouched down beside McGhee and carefully lifted the piece up from the ground. Placing it carefully into a bag which Bishop held open for him, the former Marine nodded approvingly at McGhee. "Good eyes, Tim."

Loki felt an uneasy feeling settling into the pit of his stomach. But before he could dwell on the meaning of that broken piece of technology, he caught sight of something fluttering out of the corner of his eye.

Turning, Loki noticed a piece of paper being wafted across the yard by the breeze. He started forward and gingerly caught the paper, eagerly bringing it up for his eyes to scan.

It was a page and, judging by the yellowed coloring, it had belonged to an old book. Loki flicked his eyes across the content and felt the blood draining from his face.

It was a fragment, a fragment only, but he knew enough to know what it was from. Shakily, he touched the handwritten words with the tip of his gloved index finger. The writing was firm but flowing, with a sense of beauty to it.

"What is it, Loki?" Tony asked from right behind him. Loki glanced at him, still shaken.

"This is a page from an ancient manuscript," he began, taking a deep breath. "An ancient Asgardian manuscript. This...this record vanished from our archives. We thought it had been destroyed."

"What does it say?" Tony asked inquisitively, peering over Loki's shoulder.

Loki slowly read through the few paragraphs on the page, all formatted around the irregular drawing in the center. The words seemed to be a continuation of instructions pertaining to some sort of mixture. The drawing looked to be a sketch of several of the necessary ingredients.

Gibbs appeared beside the two agents and glanced at the page. "Bag it gently, Laufeyson. We'll examine it back at the Yard."

Loki nodded and obeyed, slipping the yellowed page into the plastic bag Tony offered. The agents then stowed the evidence they had collected in the back of the NCIS vehicle Gibbs had driven.

"All right, let's head back," Gibbs said.

Tony wheeled on Loki and held out his hand. "Keys."

Loki just looked at him. "I'm sorry, DiNozzo, but I'm driving back."

Tony and McGhee immediately spun to face Gibbs. "Can we come with you?" they demanded simultaneously.

Gibbs shook his head with a wry grin. "Nope. You are going with Loki." As DiNozzo opened his mouth to protest, he added, "You got yourself into this one, Tony."

"But what about me?" McGhee pleaded. "I was dragged forcibly into this."

Gibbs just laughed and climbed into the truck.

The two male agents forlornly watched Gibbs and Bishop drive away, mournful expressions on their faces. Loki laughed and began to walk over to the car. "Coming?"

"I think I'd rather walk," McGhee announced.

"I think I agree with him for once," Tony commented.

"Suit yourself," Loki shrugged, sliding into the car. As he started the engine, the agents seemed to realize that Loki really would leave them behind and made a run for the car.

As Loki pulled onto the main road, Tony began telling McGhee all about the "hot girl" he met in Asgard. It took Loki several minutes to realize he was talking about Sif. The second the meaning hit him, he stared over at DiNozzo in utter amazement.

"What?" he asked, flabbergasted.

Tony grinned, looking out the windshield, then gasped. "Turn!"

Returning his gaze to the road, Loki realized their turn had snuck up on them and, without decreasing their speed, spun right onto the new road. Tony and McGhee were tossed about as the car swung through the turn before rocketing on down the road.

"How about using the brake next time, huh?" Tony suggested rather shakily.

"Or the blinker?" McGhee added breathlessly. A glance in the rearview mirror revealed his pale face and trembling limbs.

"The blinker?" Loki queried.

"It's a light that flashes on the front and rear bumpers of the car, telling other drivers you're going to turn, and where," Tony told him.

Loki frowned. "Why would I want to advertise my next move?"

Tony stared at him for a moment before quipping, "Sometimes I forget you're psycho and can't think like the rest of us."

Loki let out a short laugh, lips twisting into a slightly evil grin. "Oh, I understand. Sometimes I forget you're DiNozzo and therefore cannot answer any of my questions."

McGhee practically fell over laughing.

Tony scowled. "Very funny, Loki. Very funny."

Loki just grinned.

/***/

So, what did you think?

Are you guys eager for the team to dive deeper into the case? I know I am!

Thanks for reading! Please, vote and comment!