Chapter 69

Stark's and Rhodes' faceplates flipped closed and the two of them blasted up into the air. McCallan took off for his jet, bounding up the boarding ramp and disappearing inside the vehicle. Thor swung Mjolnir and catapulted himself up into the sky towards the alien warship. The rest of the Avengers set off, streaking west toward the landing site as the engines of the jet fired up.

"Two more groups of Chitauri have landed," Abby said into everyone's earpieces. "Three blocks north and south of your current position."

"DiNozzo, Loki, Romanoff, Bishop, take north," Gibbs ordered. "McGhee, Banner, Rogers, Barton, west on me. ETCD, you have south. Flyers, you make sure no more ships get down to the surface and see what you can do about those warships. Got it?"

"Got it," echoed the team, and everyone split.

"Clare Leopard, Lucas Sharpe, and Agent Sniper have been identified as belonging to the initial landing party, one with each set," Jarvis' voice chimed in over the earpieces. "I have taken the liberty of marking them as targets of high priority."

"Thanks, Jarvis," Stark said. "Gibbs, meet you at the landing site?"

"Take care of those warships," Gibbs snarled. "Then join us."

"We've got the three," DiNozzo said. "Man, I'm loving these earpieces."

"Cut the chatter, DiNozzo."

"Sorry, Boss."

"I'll slap him for you," Loki offered, hitting DiNozzo in the back of his head.

"Hey!" DiNozzo exclaimed, turning on the Asgardian.

"You two knock it off or you'll be sorry." Gibbs' wasn't playing around.

"Sorry, Boss." DiNozzo repeated. Loki didn't apologize, an absent grin touching his lips.

"Leopard is with the north party," Abby said. "Sharpe is with west. And Sniper is with south."

"Thanks, Abs," Loki said. "Anything else we should know about?"

"I'll keep you posted."

The streets were empty as Loki led the small team toward the north landing site, spear in hand. The three agents with him all had their guns drawn.

As the landing site came into view, Loki tightened his grip on his spear. He could see Leopard, dressed in a black leather bodysuit, complemented with thin armor plates, and holding her scepter.

His scepter, actually.

"Romanoff, you and DiNozzo are together," Loki ordered. "Bishop, you're with me."

"Right," the three responded.

"Leopard's mine," Loki snarled. "Bishop, watch my back."

"On it," she said.

"DiNozzo, Romanoff, take the Chitauri."

"Copy," Romanoff answered.

Loki felt his spear expand in his hand and met Leopard's eyes across what was about to become the battlefield.

****

As Drift and her team came in sight of the south landing party, she felt her muscles tense. Agent Sniper, face masked and rifle in her hands, stood at the head of the alien soldiers.

She is allies with the woman who killed Samson, Drift thought, anger surging through her. I am going to wipe the ground with her.

The ETCD all raised their weapons, their Enhanced senses all on alert.

****

Stark set his sights on the warships and increased power to his thrusters. Rhodey was nearby, and Thor was already bashing in the side of one warship with his hammer. McCallan, the Air Force pilot, was bringing the jet up beside them, guns primed and ready to fire.

"All right, form up!" Stark ordered. "There's four ships, and four of us. We need to keep them off of the ground, let the rest deal with Sharpe, Leopard, and Sniper. Do not let any aliens reach the ground. We're leaving no survivors."

****

Gibbs saw the Space Walker first. He was levitating above his troops, his gaze riveted on the approaching Avengers. He spread his hands out as they approached, weapons at the ready.

"Why, we meet again," he called. "Agent Gibbs, I must admit, you have done a fantastic job with reforming Loki. He thinks of himself as a hero now. It's pathetic, really. He once had the will. But no matter. Now...."

Sharpe lifted his hands and two nearby cars floated up into the air beside him. His voice was filled with steely anger.

"I underestimated your insignificant determination once, but that shall not happen again. You will not surprise us this time. We will win. We are...unstoppable. As you will soon see."

/**/

I'm sorry for missing last week's update; finals have been taking up much of my time lately.

I hope you enjoyed that chapter! Please, comment and vote and let me know what you thought!

Skylar Wittenborn