27.

I gulped down the contents in my mouth as I blinked. James stood there, a bag of ice cream in his hand as he grinned at me.

"Mind if I join?", he asked but before I could answer, he was already seated across me, removing the lid of his own ice cream cup.

"Seems like someone is sad", he commented and I furrowed my brows. "I am not sad"

He put a mouthful of ice cream between his lips as he scoffed. "That is why you have a red nose and puffy eyes and dried tears on your cheek?"

I immediately picked up a tissue as I wiped my cheeks and eyes as James continued to stare at me. "Whoever it was that hurt you must have been a devil"

My eyes widened as he mentioned the term devil but soon subsided as I realized he was just making an analogy. I almost had my heart in my hand as those words left his mouth.

"No one hurt me. I just like eating ice cream. But what are you doing here?"

"I had a midnight craving, but then I saw you so I decided to stop by and say hi. By the way, you look nice. This dress color suits you well", he smiled cheekily and so did I, with my cheeks turning slightly pink.

"Do you want to take a stroll in the park while eating ice cream? We could talk. Consider that me asking you out"

I was about to agree when my phone buzzed. I turned it over to see Taehyung calling me. James gritted his teeth at the sight of the caller as his hands curled into a fist under the table.

"I am sorry, I would love to but I must leave. I will definitely give you a call and we can go out some other day", with that I stood up as I grabbed my cup of ice cream. James followed suit and we both stepped out of the shop.

"I can drop you home", he volunteered but I shook my head. "I live pretty close, I will get home by myself. Thank you for the offer and thank you for keeping me company today"

He nodded. "I will see you later James, good night", with that I walked back to the bus station. He did say something which I couldn't catch so I just ignored it.

James watched as Nana left, an angry smile on his face. "You will see me again Nana, don't worry", he muttered as his eyes clouded.

Just as Nana left, a voice was heard behind him as someone approached. "You had your opportunity James, why did you not take her? She is alone and Lucifer isn't around"

James smiled as he turned back to face the person. "Not now. Now isn't the right time to make my move. I am weak and Lucifer is as strong as ever. I will take the girl only on the night of the red moon when I have my powers and Lucifer cannot rescue her. If I take her now then he will be back in hell and before we can even do anything, me and you will both be dead"

———•••———

When I reached back home, Taehyung was pacing outside our door. He paused at the sight of me and the ice cream in my hand. Without a word I opened the door to the house and went inside and he followed behind.

"Where the hell were you?", he growled and I just ignored him and sat on the couch, eating.

"Nana", he said in his deep voice and I looked up. "Answer me"

"I left", I shot the words back. "Everyone was dancing and busy with their 'partners' and I was getting bored so I left", I said, putting extra emphasis on the word 'partner'.

"You could have at least informed me. I tried calling you so many times, you did not even pick up"

"Well I would have informed you but you were so busy dancing and getting lost in Nami's eyes, I did not want to ruin your moment", I sounded so bitchy and petty, I couldn't believe my own words. Taehyung was startled for a moment but had a smug smile on his face.

"I see, someone is jealous", he crossed his arms on his chest and I felt so offended. Of course I was jealous but I wasn't going to accept it in a million years.

"Jealous and me - and that too of Nami, sure", I scoffed as I stood up to throw the empty ice cream container away.

"Well it seems like you were jealous because Nami danced with me and you couldn't bear to watch it. That is why you left", he remarked.

"No I wasn't", I retorted. "And why are you here in the first place? The dance is still going on. Go back and dance with her and giggle to whatever she says"

With that I went back to sitting on the couch, flinging my shoes off and not giving a damn about Taehyung standing there.

"You are not coming? I came to take you back. The gala is going to last all night. It will be fun", he said it sincerely but I shook my head.

"I much rather be alone and by myself then feel alone in a crowd"

Taehyung felt guilty as he heard those words. Even though it wasn't his fault that Nami came onto him, he still felt a little bed.

I heard him sigh before he spoke up. "Guess we are going to have to do it here then"

I raised an eyebrow as I looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"You will see", with that he went into my room. Inside I saw the pink fairy lights behind my bed being turned on. Partially out of curiosity and partially out of the 'what the fuck are you doing in my room' attitude, I walked in to see him clearing things off the floor.

"Kim Taehyung will you tell me what is up with you?". He didn't listen to me, instead continued to clear the floor. Next he moved to my music player as he went through the CDs before picking one up.

"We don't have a choice but we are going to have to do with this, unless you want to dance to Metallica". I saw Christina Perri's CD in his hand - from my Twilight obsession era - which he put into the player. The slow piano tune started playing and I looked at him confused.

His face relaxed as he walked up to me. "I wanted to ask you to dance but Nami beat me to it. Before I could find you, you had already left. I came back to take you because I wasn't going to let this night be over without dancing with you. So Kang Nana..", he extended his right hand and put the left one behind his back as he bowed slightly. "Can I have the pleasure to dance with you?"

I was too stunned to respond. He wanted to dance with me? I kept staring at his hand, my heart too palpated for me to respond properly.

"Did I not do it right?", he asked. "Because this is how we did it back in 1800's and I haven't been to a ball since"

A tear rolled down my eyes as I placed my hand in his. Taehyung smiled as he held Nana's hand before pulling her closer. Guiding her, he placed her left hand on his shoulder while his own right hand snaked around her waist, pressing her close to him. Next he intertwined his other hand with mine as we both swayed our body slightly to the tune.

It was a beautiful moment. None of us spoke anything. The music seeped through the entire room, as we danced in silence. I could feel myself tear up slightly as a couple of tears rolled down my eyes. I didn't even know why I was crying. Of course his gesture made me all emotional but mixed with the song, it just made me become overly expressive. My heart knew no limit, beating so rapidly against my chest.

Taehyung stopped as Nana suddenly stepped away from him. "I cannot do this", she almost whispered under her breath. "If we continue this for even a second longer, I will lose my mind. It started like a tiny spark but it is spreading like wildfire now. Please don't do this to me. Stop doing things to my heart..", her voice was inaudible as she spoke those last words.

I quickly turned back to leave after my sudden unexpected confession. Why the fuck do I always say inappropriate things like these?

Before I could leave the room, I was pulled back. I looked at Taehyung who almost had an unreadable expression on his face.

Our eyes met for a moment before he came at me and the next thing I felt was a soft pair of lips on my own.