Chapter Thirty-Two

Allie was enjoying an evening stroll through the town by herself, pondering life and what she planned to do next. As a former fighter, she didn't exactly have a marketable skillset.

After losing both her parents, she found martial arts. Within a few short years of training, she went on to become a world champion. She knew if she put her mind to something, she could achieve greatness, but didn't have a clue what that next thing for her would be. She was at a loss and looking for a sign from the universe.

"Hey," a voice said from behind.

Turning around, she saw Daxon approaching.

"How's everything going?" he asked.

She laughed. "It's a matter of perspective I guess."

"Can I walk with you?"

"Sure."

It was dusk. The setting sun painted the sky in the most exquisite colours.

Walking down the empty streets, Daxon made a suggestion. "I want to show you something."

"What is it?" she said with a slight sense of distrust.

"It's a surprise. Come on, follow me."

Allie gave him an distinguished look, but ultimately obliged.

"It's okay. Trust me, you're going to like it."

Allie gave in and the two headed toward a tall building in the distance.

"How's the arm?" Daxon asked.

"It's healing nicely," Allie replied. "In a few days it should be back to normal."

"That's good to hear. So you're a fighter I hear?"

"I like to think I'm more than just a fighter."

"Of course, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant, as a profession."

"Those days are behind me."

"Are they?" Daxon said with a smile.

"Combat and conflict seem to have a way of finding me."

"I don't know about that, you seem quite lovely to me."

"Thanks, I guess," she smiled.

"You should smile more, it suits you."

Allie was shy and wasn't used to being hit on, especially from someone as handsome as Daxon.

"How old are you?" Allie asked.

"How old do I look?"

"35?"

"You think I look 35?" he gasped. "Ouch, that hurt. I'm 25."

"Oh, sorry, I'm really bad at guessing people's ages."

"How old are you?" Daxon asked.

"Guess."

"20?"

"Could be."

"You fascinate me," Daxon said. "I don't know what it is, but I'm drawn to you. I want to know everything about you."

"Not much to tell."

"I doubt that, everyone has a story. Let's start with the obvious... how did you get into fighting?"

"Raised by a single mother, she was always working, and I needed a place to stay. She enrolled me in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I loved it. Then I learned no-gi Jiu Jitsu at 10th Planet."