Chapter Forty-Nine

Maxim was used to giving speeches. Standing in the packed living room, he looked around at all the new and familiar faces. Among them was Ethan and some others from the walled city, Cassie and some of her friends, Train's wife and kid. Just then, there was a knock on the door and everyone turned to see who it was.

"Sorry, I'm late," a sweet voice spoke.

A young woman entered timidly. Whispers drifted through the crowd.

"Who is that?"

"I'm not sure."

"She looks very pregnant."

"Is that who I think it is?"

"Must be."

"You're just in time," Maxim said with a smile. "Perhaps someone can help this nice lady and find a seat."

Lynn and a few others helped the woman to a dusty couch.

"Thank you," she said shyly, still looking uncomfortable and out of place.

"Thank you for coming," Maxim said, looking at her.

Elevated above the crowd, Maxim took one final look around the room before addressing the group. He connected eyes with Ethan, Ben, Cheryl, Lynn, Mr. Camouflage, Ronin, Arlon, and finally Allie, who was brimming with pride. Dozens more stared back at him, nodding with confidence.

"Friend's," he spoke to a group of sombre faces. "With sadness we mourn the loss of our family today. Please, can we have a moment of silence for our fallen heroes? Terry "Train" Cole... Dane Jacobs... and countless others who sacrificed their lives for our cause. They all died trying to help us, and their names will forever be remembered as part of the group who overthrew The Shadow.

"Every dark cloud has a silver lining and I believe there's some good that will come of all this. It's the dawn of a new era and the people of Earth need a leader. Someone they can trust. Someone who will not be corrupted by money or power. Someone who has the people's best interest at heart. Someone who values fairness and wisdom among all else. No longer shall we live in fear of robots... invasive technology... automation... war. The time is now for us to unite and establish a true democracy. The citizens of Earth need leadership, and I plan fill that role. But I cannot do it alone. I would love for you all to be a part of that journey."

Everyone felt a part of something truly special — a historic moment that they would surely look back upon with great reverence. It was history in the making.

"But first, we have something very important to do today. We must honour the fallen heroes who sacrificed their lives for this mission. Their deaths will not be in vain. In this room, we have some of the best minds on our side, some of the bravest allies, the most driven people who will stop at nothing to make this world a better and safer place for all, especially for our children, those who are on their way into this world, and those yet to be born.

"Now, we must not forget we are up against a powerful adversary — one who does not like dissention, and has every advantage... except for one. The element of surprise. Right now, we have a lead – an address which may or may not surmount to anything, but we cannot let our guards down. We have to be prepared. Whatever happens, just remember, we are a team. We have each other's backs.

"I thank you all for being here today. I thank you for your courage, your sacrifice, and your commitment to this cause. It is truly an honour to have gotten to know each and every one of you."

Maxim stepped down from the chair in which he was standing, and mingled with small clusters of people. He meandered through the crowd like a politician until he found his way to a girl sitting on the couch.

"Athena I presume?" Maxim said, extending his gratitude. "Thank you for coming. Dane spoke highly of you."

"Somehow I doubt that, but thanks. Dane and I didn't always see eye to eye, but that doesn't make it any easier knowing that he is gone."

"As long as we keep their memories alive, they are never truly gone," Maxim said. "Plus with the baby on the way, a part of him will continue on."

Athena looked down and placed her hands on her belly.

"Have you picked a name yet?"

"I'm back and forth between a few. I was thinking something Greek — Alec, which means 'defender of mankind', or Damen, which means 'divine power', or Eros, which means 'the god of love'."

"Those are all great names. I always loved the Greek philosophers – Socrates, Plato, Aristotle."

"Aristotle," Athena repeated. "I like that."

"You can call him Aris for short. It's sort of similar to Eros."

"You're right! Oh, I love that. Now you've given me even more to think about."

"I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll be the perfect name," Maxim said with a smile. "Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you once again for coming and showing your support. It would mean the world to Dane to know that you came."

"Thank you for inviting me."

"You're part of our family now. If you need anything, let me know, okay?"

"I appreciate that. Thank you."